We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

philadelphia
5 posts
Save Topic
Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

I am heading to Maui in sept for 10 nights. We are staying last five nights at 4 seasons but need to decide whether to stay at the Westin, Sheraton, or Hyatt. We will most likely book a high category room at either hotel, but don't know which is the best choice for hotel. We are interested in great entertainment, activities, pool, and snorkeling. We will be traveling with no kids and are both in our young 30s.

Please help make this decision easier!!!!

rhode island
Level Contributor
811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

If it were me, I'd say the Sheraton. Great location, spacious grounds at a quieter end of Kaanapali Beach. Beautiful views from this location next to Black Rock.

California
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

These three hotel's are often compared, can't go wrong with either. Assuming price isn't a deal breaker between them I would also pick the Sheraton. All three are in a great location plus the Sheraton has the better beach area.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

Hyatt is the best hotel out of the 3, has the largest rooms 450 sq.ft. v 340 sq.ft. for the Sheraton and 400 sq.ft. for the Westin. Hyatt was also renovated most recently-narrow beach, a bit of walk to the Whalers'.

I have stayed at all 3, I like the Westin the best, have stayed there a dozen times since 1990's. It has 5 pools, next to Whaler's mall, one with the slide is a kiddie pool. there are lots of trees around the pools, thatched beach umbrellas, to sit around and enjoy a drink or two!.

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

Aloha gatman!

Please do a trip report [either way] but especially if you choose the Sheraton Maui. We're booked there for December in one of the deluxe oceanfront rooms on top of Black Rock, lol, and I would love to read more about it. There have been several good reviews re those rooms lately on TA under Sheraton Maui - there have also been "whiners" that obviously were looked at the wrong way b/c otherwise I don't understand the wide range of reviews re the Sheraton - some say great, some say terrible with regards to service and/or staff?!?!?!? Also, take a look at oyster.com for tons of room pics that I've not seen anywhere else. We're taking our chances with it b/c 1] we like the room setting we're getting, 2] it's spread out and doesn't feel crowded, 3] the Westin caters to more families with children, 4] there will be a fridge and microwave in our room, and 5] the beach and walking to nearby places for breakfast instead of the hotel, which we probably won't even try with so many good choices around.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
879 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

These are all very nice places! I've stayed at Hyatt and Westin and will spend part of our vacation time at Sheraton in Sept. I liked both the Hyatt and Westin alot--perhaps the physical plant/rooms of the Hyatt just a tad more but the beach and the location of the Westin more. I gather from some comments that there is a lower category of rooms at the Westin reserved for Priceline, timeshare, etc. customers which are not liked (and some are very vocal about it) but you wouldn't have that problem. Kids will mostly be back in school so that will also factor in. IMO, in your situation I would probably choose the Sheraton since you mentioned snorkeling and it is most convenient there. The Sheraton is located on the best part of wonderful Kaanapali Beach. Also, its easy to slip behind the Sheraton to spend a little time on quieter Kaanapali North if you should so choose.

rhode island
Level Contributor
811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

Gatman, like others have said, all 3 are beautiful properties and you can't go wrong with any ot them. Another reason I thought you would prefer the Sheraton is that the Westin and Hyatt seem to cater to families, and you say you're young with no children. Just a thought. The Sheraton is on a quieter stretch of beach.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,108 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

I would stay at the Sheraton - since you are traveling without kids. I have stayed at the Sheraton several times ... great beach, spacious, easy parking, very nice rooms.

I have also stayed at the Hyatt and enjoyed it. But it does cater to families with kids and large groups. The beach there is not so good. Heavily landscaped and nice pool. Activities on site.

I have also stayed at the Westin and would never recommend it to anyone.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/…ad

Scroll down for aerials of these hotels.

Also - scroll down the Maui Forum, as there are a couple very recent threads regarding these same restaurants.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

All nice resorts with different feels. To me the Westin feels more crowded and they do tend to draw more families with young children. The Hyatt has wonderfully landscaped grounds and has a more formal feel than the spread out and laid back Sheraton. They Hyatt also tends to do a lot of group and convention business.

If you are "pool people" go with the Hyatt. If you are "beach people" go for the Sheraton which has a much more expansive beach. The Sheraton's three buildings that are up on the bluff overlooking Black Rock have slightly larger rooms and feature amazing sweeping views up and down the coastline. A downside for some is that from those rooms you are a bit of a walk and 3 elevator rides to get to the beach. But their separation from the core area of the resort makes for a wonderfully quiet stay. And for what it's worth - the Sheraton's beachside bar serves up the best Rum Runner on the planet :-)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,362 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

Skip the Westin.

For the Hyatt Regency and Sheraton, flip a coin.

We just got back from the Hyatt a couple of weeks ago and I can't say enough good things about the Concierge Level at the Hyatt.

But when we stay at the Sheraton, we stay at the rooms up on Black Rock and they are great too.

You don't really have a bad choice between those two.

And for the fun of it..... look at the Puna Point rooms at the Napili Kai Beach Resort. We really love the old Hawaiian feel and graciousness at Napili Kai. Even if you don't stay there, do go for the Slack Key Masters show or the Napili Kai Foundation show.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin or Sheraton or Hyatt

I have to concur with the thread consensus here, noting that I prefer the Hyatt, with or without kids.

I have stayed at all three a number of times, and never have I not enjoyed myself immensely! That being said, the common/public areas at the Westin are too cramped, the lower category rooms too small & the service seems to always leave a bit to be desired for my taste. I do, however, find myself at the Starbucks adjacent to the Westin's main pool quite frequently when I'm staying on or visiting Ka'anapali beach!

If you want far better beach (beach directly adjacent to the Hyatt isn't very good) & snorkeling convenience over the best pool; and don't mind a somewhat more reserved, but efficient approach to service, I think you would be best served by the Sheraton, noting some of the caveat's mentioned above. The opposite obviously holds true as well.

Whichever you choose, you're sure to have a most incredible time on island!

Aloha, NKO