We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Hi there, just wondering if any fellow Canadians have used Costco Travel for their car rentals recently and if there were any issues. I was able to make a reservations via my Canadian membership number on the website? However, if I stick with this reservations I don't want to have an issue when I arrive at Alamo to pickup my car. I will continue to "shop" as I dont leave until January but just wanted to see what feedback their might be from others! Thanks for any info.

54 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

It is interesting that you were able to make a Costco.com car reservation online.

There is a disclaimer as you are booking on the .com site: " * You must be a Costco member residing in the United States to purchase travel on this Web site. ". Maybe this applies to travel packages only and is a general disclaimer? Perhaps not applicable to car rentals?

I had previously not attempted to book through .com because of the warning but just tried it and the booking went through with my Canadian Costco membership number too.

Interesting!

I too would like to know if any Canadian Costco members had any issues in picking up their rental cars.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 19:19
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

I've used Costcotravel many times for car rentals and have had no problems. The last rental we did thru them was in November and it went completely smoothly. I've even recieved quotes from them, on the phone, for Tahiti vacation packages and the agent even told me yes, they can book Canadian clients.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

I had used Costco.com for car rentals before the new and improved booking appeared, with no issues.

I find it interesting, as well, that you received phone quotes from them and were told that they can book Canadian clients because I was previously told that I had to have a US based address and my credit card has to be US as well.

I just called them and was told, again, that unless I had a US address, with the credit card listed as that address, then I could not book. Agent said that they were not licenced to sell to Canadians but that it might change in the future.

It would be great if we could book vacations through Costcotravel.com as their S. Pacific deals are really good, especially to Cook Islands (the two island deal......)

Edited: 07 August 2012, 22:50
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Love2Vacations,

That's very weird as I almost booked a $10,000 vacation to French Polynesia with them once (booked thru someone else cheaper), this was almost 2 years ago and yes, they did book Canadians back then. I spoke to 2 of their representatives and both said Canadians can book thru costcotravel (canadian address and Canadian CC.).

Obviously their policies have completely changed. That completely sucks.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Yes, it does!

But we should stay tuned as the agent said it might change (again) in the near future.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Yes...this is indeed new information.

Booking a vehicle utilizing the Costco discount codes has been a breeze...just not on their website....but OK on the Car rental agencies website directly.Chage occurred about 6 months ago.

I suspect the OP's car reservation will be honored...if a Conf # has been issued etc. Did you try plugging that number in on the actual agency's website to verify the reservation? If it is in their system ...you should be fine.

The issue was never with the car company.... but.with Costco.com.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 23:05
Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Thanks for the feedback. i tried putting the Costco confirmation number on the Alamo website and it looks fine. My thinking is that if you have a Canadian Membership number it should not except it on the website as you would think the US Memberships and Cdn's would be somewhat different. However it di so I will hold on to the reservation for now and keep watching the prices.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Costco is an International company with warehouses worldwide..... Canada,USA, UK, Australia etc...

The membership is "accepted " at any warehouse.The issue of late has been the booking of various Travel perks on the US website for folks with non US addresses.

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

I have been booking with Costco for years as a Canadian Costco member. Absolutely no problems or issues at all. I have never even been asked to produce my membership card. My Canadian address is evident as well as my British Columbia driver's licence. It's fine in my opinion.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental

Yes, we have all been booking cars through Costco (US) for years...using the booking codes. I haven't ever been asked to produce my membership card either. I have even previously used the US site to book my Canadian car rentals.

When the new booking tool came into effect, I am pretty sure that I tried to use it with my Canadian Costco number and it didn't work (so I used the codes on the rental car company site, bypassing Costco.com). But, evidently my Canadian membership number works now!!

If we could only book the great packages.....soon.....

BTW: For KimJ, have you tried using the Hawaiian Airlines codes for Avis (K816401)? That is where I have found the better deals lately, and at Budget (U030059) as well. It might be worth a quick look.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 23:05
Reply to: Canadian's using Costco Travel for a Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted