We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Hi there,

Its my decade birthday this Labor day weekend and I really want to visit Hawaii. So , do you guys suggest visiting Hawaii for a longweekend.? Is it too short?

If its a good idea, what places would you suggest as I have no clue and never been to Hawaii before.

Planning to leave 30th Aug and back on 2nd Sept.

Please suggest !!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

I wouldn't spent the money and time on a plane for that short of stay. Wait until you can spend 7 to 10 days.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

So you're talking 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun), coming back on Mon? Assuming you won't arrive until late afternoon on Fri. and then will take a red-eye home leaving Maui (or another island) Sun. night, this will give you 3 days. Coming from Denver, that's a long way for a short time. What interests you about Hawaii? Is it a life-long dream? Is there any possible way to add another day or 2?

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

We have 2 free tickets , and thought this would be a perfect time to celebrate and visit Hawaii! Anyother suggestions of a beach getaway? Been to California before , San fRan and San JOse. Would you suggest San Diego / Key west ??

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Sorry, I meant boarding the red-eye Mon. night?

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Planning to leave 30th morning , so we have 31 , 1 , 2 and may be fly back on 3rd.

Do you think its still not do-able?? :(

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Do I think Hawaii is a good idea? No.

It's a long flight. You'll spend the first day adjusting to the time change. Most of your departure day will be packing up to go home.

Mexico? Gulf Coast? Orlando?

Chicago? (Well, we DO have beach.)

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Mexico , definetly sounds interesting and would love to ! Again, is it do-able?

And Chicago , yes been there before ..it is a beautiful city and beach ..hmm!!????

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,228 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

Free tickets anywhere??? Do tell us a bit more. I do know people who have done quick trips and while I wouldn't relish it, it may be a great experience. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,545 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

OK - I have done a four night trip to Hawaii - but that was from California. I'd been to Maui several times, jumping right in was no problem. I think 3 nights from Denver is too short.

Where else ... hmmm ... Labor Day ... hot ...

If you do want sun and sand, San Diego is great. There is alot to do there, too.

Lake Tahoe ... you could fly into Reno. Very nice at that time of the year and visitors are thinning out.

I really love Portland! Beautiful! Talk about a zillion things to see and do. People don't realize how great Portland is - and how well-placed.

Edited: 09 August 2012, 22:53
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
873 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you advice visiting Hawaii for a longweekend?

So now we're talking 4 nights? Put "robvia" in the search line of this Maui forum to read about a couple from Florida who finished a 4-night visit not long ago. For most of us, 4 nights sounds too short; however, if you're fairly young, don't have much time off, have been dreaming about coming to HI, and now have free airline tickets, I don't know.......maybe!