We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

I couldn't find any reviews of this operation on the TA site. Here's their web page: http://www.scubamaui.com/TDMABOUT.HTM

Also, I'm wondering if 10.5 is too young for introductory dive lesson and walk out dive? I've been several times over the past few years and loved it and I'd like my daughter to give it a try. We have a pool and she's had swim lessons so she is a confident swimmer and has been practicing snorkeling in our pool for our trip next year. Anyone done this with children under 11? Was it worth the roughly $100 pp cost? I'm sure I'll spend the whole time watching her instead of the fish!

TIA for your input!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

I believe that the PADI standard for "intro to scuba" is 10 yo. This gives you intro in a pool followed by a dive in the ocean. Younger than this and they confine the activity to a pool. I've seen this intro offered as a "resort dive" with intro in a pool for free and an ocean dive for $. Personally I would wait until a kid is a competent swimmer before they take scuba gear into the ocean. You don't want to push her until she is ready. I assume and hope that a dive instructor would access her swimming confidence and ability before taking you into open water.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

Check out this thread, especially the post by scubatimm before you make a decision.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k31579…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

helpful, thanks msfuzz.

4. Re: Has anyone used Tropical Divers Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 17:18