We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Early is Too Early?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How Early is Too Early?

OK, maybe I'm just a nerd, but I like to book things early. There's just something nice about looking in my inbox and seeing all of those reservation confirmations, I guess, that makes me feel like I'm really going on vacation.

But I realize that we are still about 7 months from our Hawaii vacation and it's probably way too early to book our snorkeling tour and make restaurants reservations. Although I did book the Old Lahaina Luau back on June 1st, more than nine months before we travel. . . . . I wanted a good seat. And we're traveling during Spring Break.

I booked our airport transportation for the Waikiki portion of our stay the other day, and the nice man at the transportation company immediately left me a voice mail stating something to the effect of "are you REALLY booking a transfer for March of 2013?" Apparently I booked that one too early.

What can I say....I'm excited....

Anyhow, back to the question: how early is too early to book a restaurant reservation or a snorkeling tour? I'm afraid if I book things too early my reservation could get lost. But I don't want to wait too long either.

What a lovely dilemma to have. :)

Thank you!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Early is Too Early?

You need therapy IMO. You don't need rezzies for anything period.

Atlantic, Iowa
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Early is Too Early?

I, too, am an avid planner. I do book certain things in advance. The snorkeling tour can probably be booked about 2 weeks in advance and you will be fine, same with restaurant, if you wish, but within a week would probably be OK, also for those. When I went to Maui this last February, we were waiting to book our snorkel trip when we got there, and they were sold out for about 4-5 days in advance, so don't wait too long. I only book things that we can change or cancel if we wish. For instance, I am prone to motion sickness, so do not want to snorkel or whale watch if it is terribly windy. We booked in advance, but with the right to change dates with no penalty if we wanted to. I booked my transfer for the first of February, 2013 about 2 months ago, so don't feel bad.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Early is Too Early?

BankerLisa,

You don't need therapy IMHO....there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with planning ahead...it's those little things like you said, seeing the reservations in your in-box that can get you thru the tough times until vacation arrives....I love it! Obviously, the companies will tell you if it's too early...it's part of the fun!

Enjoy and plan away!!!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Early is Too Early?

My sister in law always tells me "there's medication for that". She nearly dies when I show her my vacation planners - she's an anti-planner and I like to make spiral bound printed-at-Kinko's planners for all members of our travel party. It's fun.

So, if I waited until January or so for our March trip I would be OK? Would November-December be too early?

Thanks in advance.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Early is Too Early?

Traveling during spring break excursions can, and do, book up! You were wise to get the OLL booked.

There is one specific sunset cruise that is family tradition so I always book that 6 weeks out. The Trilogy Lana'i trip I also booked 6 weeks out BUT we had to take a different day because our chosen day was already booked.

The only restaurant we ever book ahead is Mama's Fish House, I use opentable.com for that. Any others we book with the concierge a day or 2 out when we are on island or just check what is available at opentable.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Early is Too Early?

I booked Mama's Fish House for first Sunday this October for dinner for four (would like a window seat), Mediterranean Gourmet Luau for second Tuesday of October on Kauai and Blue Hawaiian West Maui/Molokai helicopter tour for three, first of October. They were the "must do's" for a 16 day vacation.

I like to see my car rental, flight and condo reservations in my vacation folder. But we don't like to be booked....more fun to make plans a day or two out, if reservations are needed. It would be different if traveling in a large group or only a week on island. Deb

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Early is Too Early?

Old Lahaina Luau is always good to book in advance, and any special occasion restaurant. We don't usually bood anything anymore, (except Mama's Fish House a few weeks in advance). We're on island time!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Early is Too Early?

7 months is pretty early for restaurant and activities. I would look 2-4 weeks out depending on the activity.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Early is Too Early?

We arrive in Maui in lets, see, 32 days, but I'm not counting and I have not booked one thing for our 20 day visit. It doesn't stress me out because we've done the luaus, snorkel trips, so we are just going to go with the flow this time.

Activities on the agenda are ROH (Charles Lindburg's grave) and Haleakala (no sunrise) so I don't need to "book" those things. Will probably book dinnerat Merriman's when we arrive...but who knows...throwing caution to the wind...:)

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Early is Too Early?

You are all nuts! -:)