We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

Redding,CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

I bought the MR book in 2005.Have used it twice since then. Was going to give to my daughter for her first trip. I now read that this book is not liked in Maui by people who live there, some find it offensive! If someone has a different guide book for a hiker/snorkeler let me know.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

Hi, goldie, I really like the Lonely Planet series for the islands and Hana mile by Mile for the Road to Hana.

Maui Revealed and Big Island Revealed in early editions encouraged visitors to trespass and high-lighted very dangerous activities.

Take a look through this recent thread tripadvisor.com/…41066632

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

The issue with the book is the way it almost advocates trespassing to get to certain locations. It also has taken tourists to dangerous locations without much warning. It has gotten a bit better with new revisions.

It is my favorite book because it is full color with decent pictures and I enjoy their writing style. I also refuse to trespass to get to spots and I also have a very good understanding of the ocean (which unfortunately many people do not).

So if she has a good head on her, understands not to trespass and the dangers of the ocean I think it is a fine book.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,486 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

I like the book "No Worries Hawaii" by Jerry and Janine Sprout, because it explains the best everything on each island from snorkeling to beaches to hiking, etc.. It also has lots of info for a first time traveler to Hawaii, not just about practical things, but getting into island time and things a first time visitor should understand e.g. honking is considered offensive and rude in Hawaii, take off your shoes in homes, water safety and this book is simply awesome!

I bought a Maui Reviled for my first visit. Without knowing anything about TA's disregard for this book, I disliked much of the advice. As an Alaskan, we have many of the same problems as Hawaii with visitors wanting to explore areas that are off limits, private property and unsafe. I tossed the book and have since bought most other guidebooks because I am addicted to them!

I do like the maps the MR books offer and can agree with much of what Pirates said.....I just don't want anything to do with a book that is considered disrespectful to the people of Hawaii. Deb.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,996 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

I am not that familiar with Maui specific books, but your feelings are correct. Lonely Planet is an excellent choice.

If there is a Malinowski book on snorkeling for Maui, check it out.

JC Derrick did a fine book on Road to Hana, and last I heard it was available as an e-book, but I'm not current on it. Last I checked he was still a DE and you could PM him.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

JC Derrick hasn't been a DE for a long time now, he's moved on but the info about his e-book is correct!! He also has a fabulous web-site for Hawaii.

www.hawaii-guide.com

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,996 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

thanks msfuzz!

I thought I had seen his name on a DE list in the last year, but time flies.

goldiep, it is the Mile by Mile guidebook and here is JCDerrick's profile at TA

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/JCDerrick

and his website

www.Hawaii-Guide.com

He is extremely respectful of the 'aina and checks and rechecks for facts.

Revealed is bad in other ways besides the trespassing. The anecdotes are not ones that Hawaiians would tell in that style, and the author has a bad habit of giving legal advice when he doesn't know what he's talking about, and he just promotes a very smug and arrogant point of view. While it is great that people can use the books without absorbing it, not all can, and anyway, when you buy something you support it, and everything it stands for, and every effect it has -- including in this case the closure of a Maui reserve area after too many readers of the book trampled it.

Why not support something that is morally more admirable is how I see it.

YMMV

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

I can see why they are offensive to locals, but I bought before I realized that. I have their books for BI and Kauai too. For me they are the best for their description on beaches and other physical things. Well organized.

We have not bought new editions since we realized how angry they made the locals. but the old ones still are good for physical things. We ignore their stupid private property suggestions. Am sorry they thought they had to be so clever, when they had a really good basic info book.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 06:01
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,996 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

Yes, I have an old copy of the Big Island one that I bought nine years ago. I actually don't find it too useful other than to see what tourists are referencing who are using it.

They never wanted to write a basic book. The selling point was to send

people to off the beaten path locations, with much emphasis on the fantasy of

pristine natural swimming pools and waterfalls.

The Oahu edition was last and it is not a bad book other than the anecdotes get real old after reading them multiple times. However I feel that the restaurant reviews are not all that reliable. TA is way better for food tips.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

I really love maui revealed. It has excellent maps and info about condos and hotels. It has great, detailed info about snorkel locations. Also explains local food, and has restaurant reviews. It has excellent info about natural attractions, like hiking. Of course, I know I have to use common sense to choose activities that will be safe and legal. Finally, I don't think the author has been bought off by the tourism industry, which is a big plus.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,996 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Revealed offensive to natives?

>>> Finally, I don't think the author has been bought off by the tourism industry, which is a big plus.

Well, that is his schtick that he keeps saying, but I don't think the other books are "bought off."

He reviews things as his personal opinion, great. That is like picking one person at TA and believing everything he or she says is useful advice to be elevated to some special level.

The author didn't grow up here. He moved to each island and rented a place and did the book on that island and then moved. He lives on Kaua'i. I don't think he knows all that much about the other islands. His stories he collected all date from one year or six months of roughly a decade ago.

He differs from other books because he is constantly inserting text to sell his book and criticize his competitors, and that stuff can seep into your head until you believe it. It's like the used car salesman method of promoting his product, or maybe late night infomercial.

"Buy my book! I'm not a sell-out! I don't accept freebies!" (I just write opinionated reviews that ruin businesses because I went in there one time and they didn't KMA enough, but if you are my buddy I will talk you up.)

Seriously.