We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Air first class question

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Air first class question

Have never flown first class but am thinking of treating my wife and I on our trip from Oakland. I know food and drinks will be free, but what are the seats like, do thet recline all the way?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
32,069 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Air first class question

Go to seatguru.com. It has the most up to date info as to what each airline and aircraft is using and the pitch of the seats, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Air first class question

Alaska Air services OAK-OGG with their 737-800 equipment. The First Class cabin is a standard domestic offering.

You will have a little wider seat and slightly more pitch than Economy. This seat does not feature a "lie flat" option....normal recline.

Cabin is Rows 1-4......2 & 2 configuration ( A/C, D/F)

Alaska does however offer a nice product and features a special menu for those flights to Hawaii

alaskaair.com/content/…

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Air first class question

First class makes the long flight go faster! There is something about boarding first and saluting other passengers with that glass of champagne as they file by! HA

While Alaska first class is not like an international flight with Luftansa, it's still something special.

We try to get first class upgrades coming home...it eases the depression of leaving!

It's also a great surprise for a wife and major "points".

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Air first class question

Although it's not ultra-luxurious, Alaska's first class is much more comfy than coach. We now try to upgrade (last-minute) whenever possible. Always seems to be available on most flights to Mexico, but Hawaii is much harder to come by.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Air first class question

First Class isn't ultra luxurious on a 737, as pointed out above, but FC is always a nice experience and 2x2 beats 3x3 in my book.

We were booked FC out of HNL a few weeks ago and the product was nice and enjoyable.

If you are booking FC for the fun of it consider booking a day flight back from Hawaii so you can enjoy your experience. I like it for sleeping on red eyes but it is almost not worth it for a treat because all you do is sleep the hours away.

Go FC and enjoy!

And, Mamma is right about Lufthansa FC. You know there are fights over the yellow ducky at the FC lounge at the Frankfort airport? And, got to love the FC Mercedes that drives you to the plane. Now that is First Class.

You may want to double check if Alaska gives passengers lounge access on Hawaii to mainland flights. My guess is no, but you should ask to make sure you get your money's worth.

Edited: 24 August 2012, 03:38
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Air first class question

We did one flight on Alaska from Oakland a couple of years ago to Maui, and it was great. You do get the free food/drinks--somewhat real food, not the cold sandwiches like in coach. Another perk is you get a free digiplayer. The seats were comfortable but did not recline all the way back. There was more room for my husband and his long legs :) I would recommend it if you can still get a seat, and an above poster was right--you will score major brownie points for this one! We were able to pay extra when we checked in to upgrade, but they did not have seats on the way back :( The best part was having a FC bathroom. I was pregnant at the time so I utilized not waiting in line!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Air first class question

I wonder if this is any better than the 757's. I wouldn't bother upgrading on one of those, while the 767's and 330's do make it worthwhile.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Air first class question

Thanks for the feedback, I think we will go FC on our 1st leg, which is OAK to LIH, then after 6 days in Kauai off to Maui for nine days and then back to OAK. We are flying Southwest from Chicago to OAK, then then Hawwainn to Maui then Alaskan back to Oakland. After looking at every possible west coast city that SW serves this is the best for us. The Alaskan flight from OAK is non stop and gets us into Kauai well before noon on our first day. Right now it,s about 650.00 RT per person but will wait until after labor day before purchase.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
9. Re: Alaska Air first class question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 06:17