We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Trails

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Trails

We are leaving soon for our trip to Maui and we are an active couple who are looking to doing some hiking. Does anyone recommend some good hiking trails in Maui?...preferebly longer distances.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Trails

Not sure which part of the island you are staying but the hiking trails at Kapalua have some great views. The link with photos and maps:

http://kapalua.com/activities/hiking-trails

There is a link on the right side where you can check out additional information on hiking, and I'm sure many others can chime in on the RTH hiking!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Trails

Waihee Ridge Trail (the access road is just past Mendes Ranch, on the left ... here's the directions from Lahaina: http://tinyurl.com/9zuehhg

Pipiwai Trail (at Oheo Gulch, past Hana)

Lahaina Pali Trail

Mahana Ridge Trail (see sandytom's link above)

Some excellent info here on the first 3 trails that I mentioned: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k5359427…

Also, for the Lahaina Pali Trail, this thread is interesting .. in particular, swmarket's info and links: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k5680506…

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Trails

- sandytom, I was just looking at the link you posted and some of the trails say you have to take the resort shuttle to the start points... Do you, or anyone else, know if you have to be staying at one of the resorts or if anyone can take the shuttle? We are staying in Napili... Thanks!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Trails

tiddy ... non-guests can book the shuttles.

Wichita, KS
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Trails

Great, Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
145 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Trails

second waihee ridge. i talk about it in my trip report and also wrote a review on TA for the trail itself

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,299 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Trails

I don't mean to hijack this excellent thread. Biker56: is your avatar a picture from your recent Maui trip? It is gorgeous!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Trails

At Kapalua, you can also access the old golf course trails directly behind the Adventure Center with no need to take a shuttle.

Be sure to print out trail maps before you go as they don't provide them on site.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,686 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Trails

Regards to the shuttle.... it is indeed free, but it goes up there only three times a day. And you MUST book it ahead of time. They don't go if no one is around. You can't just show up ten minutes before the departure time posted on the website.

Also, about the Waihee Ridge Trail. Susan gave you a great link about the three trails. That post actually got my husband and I doing the Waihee Ridge Trail in May. It took us one hour and a quarter to get up there, just an hour down. Amazing views all the way up. But please be aware, the road is not really after the Mendes Ranch. When you see the Mendes Ranch sign straight in front of you, you will know that the left turn you need to make is IMMEDIATELY around the bend. The Mendes Ranch sign will then be right across the street, sort of. We missed it and had to turn around. Not easy to do either as that is where the "highway" ends and the road gets narrow real fast.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Trails

Joan ... thanks for that correction- I forgot to add 'sign' when I said it was past Mendes Ranch!

For those looking for the access road, here's a link showing it (the road where the white van is parked) . If you scroll to the right, using the arrows in the circle in the top left of the photo, you'll see the Mendes Ranch sign http://tinyurl.com/9bq6esr

Edited: 01 September 2012, 02:45