We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl Harbor Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pearl Harbor Tours

We are staying in Maui and are considering a day trip to Oahu and take in Pearl Harbor and other sites. My question is ...has anyone any suggestions, thoughts and advice about the Pearl Harbor tours that are offered online. It does cost $$ and we wanted to know is it worth going with a tour operator as opposed to booking everything on our own, renting a car and driving around Oahu ourselves?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Book on your own and rent a car. Get reserved free tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial by going to: www.recreation.gov there is a 1.50 per ticket processing fee. You need to arrive an hour before your tour time or they will give your tickets to the walk ups.

Leave Maui as early in the morning as possible, fly to Honolulu, pick up the car at the airport and you are less than 15 min. from Pearl Harbor. You can get tickets for the Mighty Mo and Bowfin when you are there. Stay as long as you want then drive into Waikiki for a late lunch or early dinner then go back to the airport (30 min. drive) and fly back to Maui in the late evening. People do it all the time.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Many people will tell you to go on your own and there are advantages to this route. We did the day tour with Polynesian tours and really enjoyed it. We had a great tour guide and got to see a lot of things in addition to Pearl Harbor. We got a two hour break in which we could explore the strip in downtown Honolulu. The one thing I will caution you about, this is a very long day, about twelve hours in all. Either way I think everyone going to the islands should visit Pearl Harbor at least once.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Both of the above are right. Your choice. Do the math - I can't tell you which would be cheaper.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Very doable and if your pretty good at getting around do it yourself. The Arizona tour isnt that long, they move you along pretty fast im thinking about an hour. We did the Mighty Mo and thought it was pretty good, one regret is at the beginning they tell you about doing a guided tour which we didnt do and did the self guided tour. I got to listen a bit to the guided tours and what a ton of info they give you. It would have been ten times better. Another regret I have is we didnt do the air museum which I think we should have done. Pick a couple things you would also like to see and go for it.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Hello,

My family and I are planning a trip in May and my mother in law who is the "one in charge", lol, was wondering if you did a self guided tour how much time to allow for each exhibit including the Bowfin. Also can you tell us any suggestions for a bite to eat? There will be 12 of us including four children.

Thanks,

dstertz

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Hello,

Thanks for your tips. In planning a self guided tour, how long would you plan for the Bowfin versus other exhibits ?

Thanks,

dstertz

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

dstertz - you may want to start your own post/thread instead of hi-jacking this old one. Responders tend to respond to the original question - which may not help you.

Also - post on the OAHU Forum.

Thanks.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

Didn't think I was doing anything unkind.

Thanks,

9. Re: Pearl Harbor Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 07:16