We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

hi all,

Greetings from Toronto Canada. It is going to be our first trip to Hawaii and Maui (end of September - beginning of October) and we are looking forward to it :). I've seen many posts about car rental companies and their bloodsucking insurance. Our credit card does not have car rental damage coverage + we don't want to involve our car insurance company into this... for obvious reasons...

Questions:

- does it make sense to buy a rental car insurance from a 3rd party insurance company (don't want another credit card only for car rental benefits) for a duration of our trip (7 days)?

- anyone here did buy rental car insurance from 3rd party insurance company?

- can you recommend a reliable and non-overboard travel insurance company that can provide such service to Canadians and valid for travel to US/Hawaii?

Thank you very much!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

<< we don't want to involve our car insurance company into this... for obvious reasons...>> Why? Sometimes they can simply issue you a rider that expands your coverage to what renters would need in Hawaii. We have had several posts about this.

Or - if you and your car insurance carrier don't get along, contact CAA. They should be highly qualified to help you - and they do it all the time. No big deal.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

Thank you for reply BLBL.

We don't want to involve our car insurance company because if anything happens to rental car (and its covered) our insurance premiums go up. Logic is simple - do not pay THEM more then you have to. :)

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

The question stands:

- can you recommend a reliable and non-overboard travel insurance company that can provide such service (rental car insurance) to Canadians and valid for travel to US/Hawaii?

Edited: 07 September 2012, 17:38
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

I am not sure whether they provide car insurance - but take a look at Travel Guard. I haven't used them for cars - but I have for everything else.

Well, I don't live in Canada - and I don't share your fear of using your own car insurance in the USA with a rental rider that provides extra coverage. Perhaps that is something particular where you live.

California
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

At least in the US, there are no credit cards that offer the full car rental insurance you need anyway. They are all (even American Express) designed to be a secondary means of coverage after your primary insurer.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

Thank you guys,

I've just found this one: https:/…

Gives me a quote of $57

What do you think?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

It looks like it's just collision.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

Yes, that's correct. Its just a collision. We have medical covered via my employment benefits.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

This is my last comment - for I am not an insurance agent. There are slices of coverage that one needs for car insurance - and extra considerations when you are renting a car or using someone else's car. These include coverage not only for yourself, but the "other car," its passengers/driver and general property. And there are limits to that coverage.

Please don't assume that you can put this puzzle together unless you have some real on-the-ground experience doing so. Personally, I would call on the experrtise of CAA or an agent.

Also know that there are some roads on Maui where your car contract will not be valid.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car Insurance from a 3rd party insurance company?

Thank you