We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Topic
Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

We have a reservation made via Discount Hawaai for next April for Maui with pickup at the airport. It is recommended to check from time to time to see if a lower cost is available. Question: Do you ask them to check your current reservation number or just create a new one and see what comes up and than cancel the higher one?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

You can ask them to recheck it by replying to the confirmation email that they sent to you. I think it's too early to be looking for low rates now ... we've found that rates come down about 3-4 weeks out from the trip. I too have a reservation with them for next March and will start to seriously check prices around 2 months out (you can do this directly with the car rental company, and then as you see prices move downwards, get another quote from DHCR).

Vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Thanks we have a quote for a Ford Focus size of car for $171.50 (before tax) for one week, pickup at OCG. Our credit card does not provide insurance so we are thinking of purchasing the additional insurance from our car insurance (live in British Columbia, Canada). I think it is about $50 to add. Have read some reviews that sometimes best just to bite the bullet and get it thru the car rental company, your thoughts?

3. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 September 2012, 22:05
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

It's better if you have the coverage through your own auto insurance, as you'll likely get better coverage at a lower cost than getting it from the rental car company. ... are you insured through ICBC? Here's some info: icbc.com/autoplan/optional/optional-rental

Your rental price from DHCR will come down significantly ... should be closer to that amount with taxes included.

Just another thought ... I also have a credit card with coverage (in addition to my auto policy coverage). I prefer to use it for minor damage (e.g. windshield claims, dents) as there is no deductible.

The credit card costs $150/year (for DH & me combined) but it also includes out of country medical and trip cancellation insurance, along with a few other coverages. It's a rewards card, so I get $ back. I save much more than the $150 annual fee by not having to purchase out of country medical and trip cancellation insurance.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Thank you, yes we are with ICBC for our insurance, we have the basic Roadstar plan which does not include car rental. We will check to see how much more it will cost to add the rental to our policy. None of our credit cards have rental included. We will check with DHCR rental in a few months to see what the rental is at.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Definitely go into an insurance broker and see how much it will cost you to upgrade the Roadstar plan. We have it, as well as the TD First Class Travel VISA card and they cover rental cars as well.

Are you a Costco member? Some people find better deals with Costco. I haven't had much success there though.

SusanM... change cards! I don't pay anything for the TD card, and I get points, not money. You use the points to get the money deducted from the VISA bill AFTER the charge shows up on your visa statement. I've already had 500.00 total taken off my bill on 3 separate travel purchases. And there is enough points again for another 200.00. You can use for the plane, train, hotel, or B. C. Ferries! You get even more points (3x) if you book the holiday, plane, rental car, train etc. with them. Just a thought...

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
408 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

re: prices coming down. In general, I disagree, though I have never booked through Discount Hawaii. When booking a car rental, I do a general check on prices every couple weeks. You never know when there will be a blip in the system. Our last trip, I booked a minivan when I booked the flights (3 weeks for $850 through Costco, all taxes in - how can you beat that??). I kept checking for the next 4 months, it just kept going up, at the end the price was three times as much. Was I ever glad I had booked it when I did.

Last year, our Christmas guests emailed me in a panic a month before their arrival because they were looking at $1900 for two weeks for a compact over Christmas. I did some looking around and found Enterprise in Wailea listed at $540 for the same two weeks. It was a blip - and I called our guests and told them to book immediately (the taxi fare was going to be about $120 round trip, they were still saving $1240!).

It doesn't hurt to look around. You never know when the sale will happen.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Joan .... I'm a TD bank client and would have liked to have gotten their card, but there's a charge for the travel card with the coverages that I want (out of country medical, trip cancellation & rental car coverage) ... it's more expensive with TD than with RBC and RBC has a longer period (31 days) for out of country medical. tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/…

mauioceanview: I agree that there are situations where rental car prices may not come down .... minivans and Christmas are good examples.

I haven't not had a price come down on the numerous rental cars that I've booked over the past several years ... whether in Hawaii or elsewhere in the US or Canada. It would be unusual for the OP's rate not to come down for next April.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Well shucks! We don't pay anything for the TD Visa, but you are right... they only cover trips for up to 8 days. We usually just buy a top up. This year we paid for a policy for the whole year though, but still, it only covers trips up to 17 days. We were in Australia for five weeks in Jan/Feb. and then had our two weeks in Maui, well within the 17 day allowance. We wanted to make use of the policy one more time, seeing as how we had it, so we are actually flying to Greece next weekend. Had to top up again though, as we are gone 19 days.

My sister had the RBC travel visa, but she didn't like it at all. Can't remember why though...

There are so many ins and outs with all these cards.

Did you know that Sears Master Card is no longer charging the 2 1/2% extra for the exchange rate conversion? My daughter just got a notice in the mail a few days ago. We have a U. S. visa card from TD as well, so I am not bothering with yet ANOTHER card!

Well then, this is really off topic now... sorry!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount Hawaai - Checking price on reservation

Your no fee card must be grandfathered in....don't get rid of it, and hope that TD doesn't sell it (that's what happened to my last card ... benefits too good to be true, and then the bank sold off that CC business to another bank and of course the terms changed .. therefore my recent change to RBC ... at my sister's recommendation :) I have the TD US$ Visa as well....very handy with the TD US$ bank account. Yes, off topic, but with the coverages that these cards provide, I think it's good to spread the word.

Have a great time in Greece!