We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend lodging

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Please recommend lodging

I'll be visiting with my wife and 4 year old daughter for roughly 7 days beginning the first week of feb 2013 and I know that this is the crowd that can help me find the right place to stay!

We would like:

1. a nice beach in front of us or just across the street to picnic and watch whales & sunset from and even wade in if it's calm enough

2. A nice pool to swim in with the kiddo

3. Nice grassy grounds with foliage

4. Close to a town with restaurants and some shopping

5. If a course is near I could stand to get in a round of golf

We haven't decided between a condo or hotel but like the idea of a kitchen, laundry and a large lanai.

Also no decision on west vs south Maui

We'd like to stay at or under $300/night.

Does this place exist?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend lodging

I would highly rec a condo when traveling with a little one. Take a look at Honua Kai, the Westin Villas and the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas on the quieter side of Black Rock.

You might also check Ther Whaler and the Marriott Ocean Club...they are right on Kaanapali Beach with close access to Whaler's Village for shopping and dining.

For even more options run your dates at www.chasenrainbows.com

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend lodging

We're happy in a condo in South Maui in January - February. The ocean is best for snorkeling, and the South Kihei/Wailea area is less densely packed than Kaanapali. The annual Whale Day parade takes place in mid-February in Kihei.

Your 'dream' condo does exist, but it may be hard to find an opening for February.

I like this site for South Maui condos because the units are carefully vetted before being accepted: www.mauiownercondos.com You may need to go through a realtor or agency to find a unit. Bello Realty is good. This is the vacation rental agency we employ to look after our condo: www.crhmaui.com

Reserve you car ASAP.

Edited: 09 September 2012, 22:20
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,741 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend lodging

Another option for finding a vacancy is vrbo. You are dealing with the owner directly then, so you know exactly which unit you are getting. You can also plunk in your dates and it will show you what is still available.

It is a popular time to be in Hawaii, to see the whales, but also to get away from winter conditions on the mainland.

Heed ChiSue's advice and get that car rented if you have not done so already.

discounthawaiicarrental is a good place to start. Costco is another option if you are a member.

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend lodging

I appreciate the input and will get that car reserved ASAP!

Is it possible to walk from Honua Kai to the Westin Villas? How long does it take?

In South Maui how does Wailea compare to Makena or Kamaole In terms of amenities like restaurants and shops/farmers markets?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend lodging

It's about a 5 minute stroll between the Westin Villas(NOT the Westin Resort and Spa) and the Honua Kai.

Here's a little map, not to scale, of the area... www.kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

Note the Westin Villas to the far left...the Honua Kai is just off the map to the north.

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please recommend lodging

Man, I could spend all day looking at the Chasen Rainbows site - thanks so much for the link! Eye candy.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please recommend lodging

Makena is the furthest south you can go for accommodations. There are restaurants in the Makena Beach and Golf Resort and that is it as far as amenities. You would have to drive about 10 minutes into Wailea for anything else and 15 minutes into Kihei.

Wailea has restaurants, shops, and gorgeous beaches. It's the most up-scale area of Maui.

The Kamaole Beaches are in Kihei Town proper, with all amenities.

8. Re: Please recommend lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:17