We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switching islands - condo help

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Switching islands - condo help

A last minute trip and we are switching islands to Maui for the first time.

We will be arriving mid- October and were looking into the Papakea Resort - Bldg L but it looks like it will be under renovations?

Any others in the area like the Papakea? Aston Maui Ka'anapali Villas?

We are traveling two children (8).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Do you want to stay in Kaanapali? Maybe Napili? Maybe South Maui (South Kihei/Wailea/Makena)?

If you've never visited Maui and want to sightsee Haleakala, Road to Hana, Iao Valley, those are more convenient from the south.

Do you have a lodging budget? Need a 2BR?

Have you reserved your rental car?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Thank you for your reply.

We do not have to stay in Kaanapali, I looked in Kihei however the beaches near the one we looked said NO SWIMMING! ?

We would prefer a 2BR we would be okay with a 1BD. Since I know it is a quieter time/season I'd prefer to keep our budget around $1500 - $1700 for the week. A pool is a must for us this time with the kids joining us.

I do have a car reserved.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Maui Kaanapali Villas would be great for you! Lovely laid back resort, they renovated the pool area a year or so ago and is nice. Nice stretch of beach and it's on the trolley line into Whaler's Village.

On-site restaurant, Castaway Cafe is a family fave of ours.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
382 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switching islands - condo help

NO SWIMMING for Kihei beaches? Absolutely not the case. South Kihei and Wailea have some beautiful beaches, Kamaole III, Keawakapu Beach etc.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Thank you.

How would the villas area compare to Maui Kamaole in South Kihei? There seem to be some great deals on VRBO for Maui Kamole.

Can't wait to explore!!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Here are ariel views of both condos hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

MKV is ON the beach not across the road from it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switching islands - condo help

wow! what a difference! thank you!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,262 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Switching islands - condo help

There is also a newer condo in Kaanapali that you might like if you are OK with tall elevator buildings: The Honua Kai.

Where have you enjoyed staying on that "other" island? LOL We might be able to zero in on something similar on Maui. You should find something nice for under $200/night in October.

There are great swimming and snorkeling beaches all over Maui -- also some buildings 'on sand' where you have a hike or a drive to a good beach. In South Maui the good beaches begin in South Kihei and run all through Wailea and Makena. (I'm guessing you might have looked at something in North Kihei to see a 'no swimming' sign -- unless it had been posted temporarily due to dangerous ocean conditions.)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Aloha,

MKV is far more low key, family friendly and on a much better beach than Papakea. You will love the property and its generous, pretty grounds.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Switching islands - condo help

Looking at the aerial view, my preference would to not be in the Aloha Tower any suggestions other than putting in a "request" not to get this? (Booking either direct or through Costco, etc)