We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Just got an excellent rate $778 Feb 18 to March 17th 2013 all in from Budget. Link below is a redirect through Island Air. WooHoo!

https:/…

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Thanks mauinuts ... I compared the rates to what i've been getting for KOA to ITO next March/April and they are significantly cheaper on this site...by about 1/3. I'm hoping they'll still come down, but this is a good start!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

~$29/d all in - that's great for this early out! Mine just dropped to $22/d for my extended stay over the Thanksgiving holiday,via Budget thru CostcoTravel, but I'm looking for <$20. I'll try NYOP right before the flight at $6 or $7/day & see if I get any luck if Costco doesn't drop -- last booking via Costco dropped to $19/day

For longer stays in the future, I think I'm going to try Paul's 'mauicruisers' or SW's recommendation of Frank's Friendly Cars & get something a few years old & owned outright by the proprietor -- it's (nearly) all money in the bank for them, so win/win for longer bookings..

Aloha, NKO

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

NKO, we will be on island in Nov for three weeks as well. Had been watching Thrifty closely and snagged an awesome deal on Monday for $76.88/wk ++++ came to $331.68 all in for 16 days

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Straight book, mauinuts? or did you use corp / disc code(s) to score that rate? It's been a long while since I found any codes that yielded a better rate than Costco or NYOP, but always looking to tweak my algorithm if something better pops up. I do all the driving on island, so I don't really need the 'free extra driver' perk.

Prior to the Alamo/National merger (when service on island was absolutely ABHORRENT!) my NYOP wins were always via Alamo. Since then, it's been a crap shoot, but Alamo has significantly improved ... I've no preference anymore on which company I use on island.

The one thing that remains variable is facilitating returning the car for a later flight (than your arrival) -sometimes it's better to simply book an extra day, but I've also worked the counter agent for a great discount booking a few extra hours at the counter - 10bucks last rental.

Have you been asked for a gas receipt on Maui? I've yet to experience that one..

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

NKO, Yes, straight book, no discount code for the Thrifty Nov booking. Input your dates and among the vehicles listed there will be a "Hot Deals" option. I think this is their way of providing a direct discount without paying a commission to a referring site/Co.

Oh and no we have not been asked for gas receipt, but I always keep it just in case.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 10:12
jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Through BJs (similar to Costco), I got a week for a midsized car for $157 all in with taxes. Thought this was really good. Beat Hotwire by quite a bit.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

Which time of year is your reservation for, odyssey? I only use Hotwire for a gauge to assist in concocting a NYOP bid, and I've never won a NYOP bid that wasn't at least 20% lower than Hotwire's pricing.

Expedia owns Hotwire, who owns Carrentals.com and Travel-ticker.com; and BookingBuddy & SmarterTravel are both owned by TripAdvisor, which is owned by Expedia.. See the pattern here? The travel consolidators are basically a giant inbred conglomeration of FOUR main corporations. Still, there is often competition among the offshoots for a particular property or deal..

Truly difficult to get it all straight... :)

Edited: 22 September 2012, 02:05
jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

My reservation is for early November.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

We're running about par, pricewise, using a daily rate.. My res is through Costco, but over the Thanksgiving holiday ... which provides an excuse to hike rates.. Do you need a BJ's membership to book through them?

Only fairly recently was this mandated by Costco..

10. Re: Great Car Rental Rate Using Island Air Link to Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 00:19