We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

I can't find current or much of any info on this concert series (Wed. nites) but since we love slack key guitar/hawaiian-style music, we booked the only concert in our trip timeframe. Jeff Peterson is the headliner...can anyone tell me what the rest of the show consists of?

MauiNOKaOi (S.F. Bay Area) TA poster asked about the dinner option that is included with the show as one of the options. I couldn't find enough out about it (menu, opinions), so we just got tickets for the show. I do recall one negative post regarding the food provided in the dinner-inclusive option but don't remember the details or where I saw it.

Thanks to another poster on another thread who advised that the parking could be a challenge at the venue since it is a resort. When he said we might have to park on the street and bring a flashlight, that sort of sealed the deal for eatting something at Sea House...even if it's just at the bar.

Would love to hear TAer's opinions of the show and if there's any place nearby we could walk to just to grab a quick bite before the show...maybe we'll just bring something and walk the beach...I hear it's beautiful.

If anyone knows of any places where slack key guitar musicians hang out and play, would love to learn of that as well.

Mahalo

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,670 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

Can't help with most of your questions because we were staying at the Napili Kai but we really enjoyed the concert we attended last year.

Parking can be a challenge, there is limited onsite parking but if you go a little early you should find a spot ok.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

we generally go to the Sea House for their early bird and then the concert. I think that's actually cheaper than the dinner/concert deal. So we get to watch the sunset and have an always tasty dinner at Napili Kai and the concert is always (or almost always) great. Dennis Kamakahi is the MC and he plays a set and his wife does the hula, some younger kids play a set, and the featured guest plays a set, and then they all jam. It;s delightful and rather authentic, unless it's close to Christmas, in which case it's not very authentic. Frosty the Snowman on slack key guitar is not what I would go to the concert to hear. The venue is a large tent with good sound. Of course the artists sign their CD's after the show. Parking absolutely would be a problem except that when we go to dinner there we re early enough that it's easy.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 16:20
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

OK - I haven't been to the concert since the dinner package was instituted. It hasn't been offered very long. We just went and had dinner at the Sea House (with a reservation). The package could be cheaper - or not - depending on what you want to eat. I'll be back in a month, and I am not doing the dinner special - but still plan to have dinner there. Pupus and/or drinks is another way to get there early. I like the idea of dinner on the sand as well! Keep your eyes open - as there are plenty of places to grab a "picnic."

George Kahumoku - not Dennis Kamakahi - is the host. The "Renaissance Man." It's his baby. slackkeyshow.com/musician/george-kahumoku-jr/

These concerts have been presented for the past ... 10 years(?). Our first was actually at the Ritz in Kapalua. Their recordings have Grammys ... and George usually brings one along for everyone to see! One time we were at the concert RIGHT after George returned from the Grammy Awards ceremony. He passed his Grammy medallion around the room so we all could touch it. (Boy, that was an act of trust and faith!)

Yes, George's wife does hula, and sometimes there are special guests who dance as well. The Ukelele Boyz are a weekly participant - local guys. LOL! They were actual "boys" when we first started attending. Now they are "Ukelele Men!"

And weekly they feature a slack key super star. Sometimes steel guitar. As dhauk says, they all jam for part of the concert. So much fun.

So it's all very family oriented. CDs are sold and signed. They serve punch. Open air tent.

You'll love Jeff Peterson. The first time we heard him was here in California where he stole the show from the "hot shot" headliner! Jeff's from Maui - Upcountry. He's also classically trained. You are in for a treat.

www.slackkeyshow.com/musician/jeff-peterson/

Anyway - feel free to ask any other questions. I was the one who recommended the flashlight!

Gypsy - where are you staying? There may be performers at some of the resorts.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 17:42
wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

Wow, guys...thanks a million...I was kind of hoping Led K. would be playing; but looks like we're going to miss him...we used to go see him in Portland, OR and when DH was working in Oahu, that's when he first "discovered" him by listening to the radio...he still talks about that program and how mind-blowing it was.

We are staying at the Wailea Beach Marriott (they made us an offer we couldn't refuse) and decided to cash in our Delta miles to go over there.

If you know of any place musicians like to jam, we would really appreciate it...we like all kinds of music except hip-hop, rap and music that sounds all the same...also, I don't care for blues music. We listen to Hawaiian CD's at home, Greek music, punk rock, guitar music (like Govi)..not a big jazz fan either. Mostly, in Maui, we would look for Hawaiian slack key musicians.

Another huge Mahalo...keep the advise coming...and, BLBL, please be sure to post your thoughts on the concert you're attending next month...we don't leave until right around Thanksgiving...no clue as to what we will do that day!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

Lots of great info here from the others, so not much to add other than to say O my! You're going to love the Masters of Slack Key concert! It's become a regular must do for us when we go. You will feel like you spent an evening enjoying music and talking story with a local family in their home.

The Seahouse early bird is a good option (5:30 to 6:00pm - and they tend to be fairly strict about ordering before 6:00). For parking - as you are driving along the Lower Honoapiilani Road, just past the Mauian you will see a small lot on the left with a sign for the Seahouse Restaurant. There are only about 15 parking places in that lot, but if you are that early you should be able to snag a space there. Then just walk through the breezeway and across the grounds of Napili Kai Resort to the restaurant on the beach. The concert venue is up behind and to the right of the restaurant.

If that lot is full, continue up the road another 150 yards to the main entrance for the resort (you'll see the Kapalua Bay Golf Course on the right.) You can park along the road there and just walk into the resort for the restaurant and show.

Hope you have a blast. It's a great show.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 18:54
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

gypsy - I would post a separate message on the Maui Forum - just asking about slack key concerts in South Maui. I think that Willie K. has a regular gig - and our S Maui experts may know of others.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

Just saw that you had posted while I was typing mine. Since you are staying in Wailea you should check out the schedule at Mulligan's on the Blue to see if Willie K is playing there during your stay. He keeps a fairly regular schedule there and his concerts are amazing.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,860 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

Aloha,

Take a look at the November calendar for the MACC, here:

www.mauiarts.org/?p=2&Year=2012&Month=11

If you will still be here when Keali'i performs there, GO. Also, Keola Beamer is wonderful.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

We did not get to the Slack Key Concert in Napili on our last visit hope to next time but we flew out of Maui the day after the concert and Led Ka'apana was the featured artist he was on our flight back to HNL and he gave everyone in the seating area at the gate an impromptu mini concert it was great he was wonderful.

We had also heard him play at Kona Brewing on Oahu the week before but only heard him didn't see him as the bar was packed and we sat in the restaurant.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slack Key Guitar Concerts at Napili Kai

A little video about Jeff Peterson. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

www.youtube.com/watch…