We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco Car Rental Rates

Petaluma, CA
Level Contributor
210 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Costco Car Rental Rates

I know people have posted this before, but I can't help myself. We are leaving Oct 20 for 8 days (yea!). I reserved a car through Costco back in April or May. We usually get a full size car. I started with Thrifty (I use whichever is lowest on the Costco site) at around $250. I periodically check Costco and have cancelled and re-reserved with Alamo (twice), Avis, and Budget. I just cancelled my last Budget reservation which was $192 and re-booked for $183. I know it's not much, but it's maybe a cocktail...

Just a reminder. Check those rates often. They can really come down.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

I just booked a 7 night rental for the end of october on costco for a Budget standard (ford fusion or similar) for $163. It was around $220 when I started looking last month.

Have a great vacation! I know I am looking forward to mine :)

2. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2018, 20:00
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
577 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

Thanks so much for a timely reminder! I had a reservation with www.discounthawaiicarrental.com (which we have used before and recommended here on TA) but unfortunately Costco beat them by $46, and I can have a larger car (needed for luggage) and a third driver. That third driver (our daughter) was the sticking point with discount hawaii rc but with Costco, it is included, according to the person I spoke to. When I asked her what to do if the rental co ( Alamo) refuses the third driver, and she told me to have them call. I know there was one company that people had problems with and I am hoping that it wasn't Alamo! Please LMK if it is. I will keep checking both places for cars, but I dont' imagine the price will go down since we are looking for Thanksgiving week. Yippee! Nine days in Maui with daughter and DGD.

Sally in Seattle

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

kookiermom- I would try as best as humanly possible to get something more concrete than a verbal statement by a costcotravel employee on the "three drivers" prior to getting on island & depending on random Alamo employee &/or manager validating this info. You're really setting yourself up for some potentially unneeded stress there in the line whilst trying to kick off a fun & stress-free vacation..

Just a word to the wise -- while I've encountered many decent employees, there are also a number of folks that are very apathetic & care not that they may be delaying your expensive foray into paradise for an infinite period of time -- there is good and bad at ALL major car rental agencies on Maui, hope you get the "good"!! :)

Aloha, NKO

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,095 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

NKO is exactly right...if it's not stated on your reservation, the rental company does not need to honor it. Get it in writing.

I don't understand why a 3rd driver would have been a problem with DHCR, they use Thrifty - now if one of the additional drivers is between 21 & 24, then there would be an additional $10.00 per day charge. Under 21, I don't think any of the major companies will add that young a driver unto a contract.

discounthawaiicarrental.com/thrifty-terms.sh…

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 29 September 2012, 04:22
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
577 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

Thanks for the heads up, NKO and 3 chi--can't spell it!--I will call the customer service person and ask for it in writing. She said that Costco policy allows 3 drivers if one is the spouse, but having proof is always a good thing.

Sally in Seattle

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

Also - it really helps to bargain at the counter when you upgrade. I thought I bargained pretty good for a convertible when I got it $100 less than they originally quoted for our 4 day stay. My step-daughter was at a different window bargaining for her car upgrade and got hers for two days longer and $10 less than my deal.

It pays to haggle.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

I too have booked and canceled several reservations thru Costco. We'll be on Maui Oct. 9th for 7 nights. Prices started at $220 for an Intermediate car with Budget (Avenger). Then $183 w/ Budget, then $167 w/ Avis (Cruze). I'm now at $144 for a Standard (Fusion) w/ Alamo for 7 days.

Keep checking.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
9. Re: Costco Car Rental Rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 09:19