We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

I have checked the condo rentals on VRBO and obviously there are lots available at variable price ranges. The cheapest 2 bedder is a unit at the rear facing the Mountains and the car parking. The price difference of this unit is about $90.00 per night from the next cheapest 2 bedder. The photos look fine but I am a little nervous. Is it worth the extra bucks for a ocean view and how far is the back of the complex to the beach. Other options I am looking at are Kaanapali Shores where it seems I can get a two bedder for a similar price range but with ocean views. We have three kids 12, 8 & 5 who will love the pools at Honua Kai but we will also have a car so really how much time will be spent at the pools as opposed to sightseeing and the beach. Sorry just thinking out loud here.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

bessa,

it's really subjective about a view. personally, we always stay somewhere with a killer view...but that's just us. you aren't far from the beach at all anywhere at the honua kai. very nice resort, imo.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

Last trip over we had a mountain view from our unit at the Alii. It was beautiful, especially because that's where the moisture is trapped on the hillsides and sets up rainbows! To watch the sunsets, we just went down to the sand. No worries at all.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

It just depends how much time you are going to be spending in your room. I don't really go to Maui to stay inside so the view, although nice to be able to see the water, is not all that important to me. We are usually at the beach most of the day and on the beach to watch the sunset or out to dinner. It just depends what your budget is and if that additional $90/night could be budgeted somewhere else in your trip.

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

Everyone has a different opinion on this one so it all depends on whether its worth it to you. We have stayed in an ocean view studio at Honua Kai in the past & have booked a two bedroom ocean view condo on the 7th floor (L-shaped wrap around lanai, inner courtyard) for November & can't imagine not having that lanai to sit out on first thing in the morning & last thing at sunset watching the ocean. Totally worth it to us.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

For us it's being able to sit on the lanai and watch the ocean with our morning coffee...I'm one of those folks who HAS to see the water! I also admit that after many trips we probably spend more time on the lanai than newbie.

Less running more settling into island time.

It's really subjective when you are juggling views vs. cost.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

The West Maui Mountains are spectacular, so you might be OK with that view. However, in addition to the view of the parking lot, there's a 4 lane road with pretty much constant traffic between you and the mountains. If you scroll around on this photo it shows the side of HK that has mountain view units, the road, etc.: http://tinyurl.com/cj9hs88

We eat a lot of meals on the lanai, so OV is important to us. But as beachlver mentions, it depends on how much time you'll be in your unit (and on your lanai) as to whether it's worth splurging on an OV, or taking advantage of the savings of a non-OV.

If you are considering upgrading to an OV or partial OV at HK, I would check to see what other views you'll have from your unit/lanai .. i.e. are you getting a view of the ocean by craning your neck to the left or right from your lanai, or does the unit directly face the ocean?

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

I am an oceanview person.

If I am going all that way I want to sit on the lanai look at the ocean and have my coffee.

But that's just me.

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

It's a great complex whatever you decide. We stayed last year with just a partial view and loved it. I don't mind the mountain view but what I really don't like is the parking lot view. Like others have said, it really depends on how much time you spend in the room.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

Mountain view condos will have a view of the sunrise over the West Maui Mountains which is fantastic. Like Nesdog said you can go down to the beach to watch the sunset later in the day, but in the morning you probably won't be wanting to head out right away to go somewhere to watch the sunrise. With a mountain view, it will be so relaxing to enjoying coffee on your lanai while watching the sunrise and you can still be in your pjs.

The kids will love the pools at Honua Kai so definitely would pick that resort then just decide on the view that's best for your budget.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai - Condo at rear with mountain view

Do you usually stay in places with water views? I'd do what is comfortable for you and your budget.

We enjoy a view of the water and sunsets. We are not out sightseeing as much, as we've been to Maui many times, so we spend more time in the unit and our lanai.

Good luck, Honau Kai is fantastic.