We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

it's a little late to be re-thinking all our plans...HOWEVER...since dh is bound and determined to do sunrise at Haleakala our first morning...i got to thinking...

would it be smarter to stay in Kahului the first night then go up to Haelakala rather than drive to Lahaina to sleep our first night then have to drive from Lahaina to Haleakala?

I'd be willing to just flop for the first nite even if it means spending a little more money so we could make the trip quicker and easier in the morning.

Thoughts?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

You'll save maybe 40 minutes (depending on where in Kahului you stay). How much is another 40 minutes of sleep worth to you? Unless your plane arrives in Maui late at night, I'd say just go get settled in and plan on a nice nap on the beach or by the pool after you have come back from Haleakala.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

When are you arriving? If an afternoon arrival I'd say go to your lodgings. But if arriving late 9 or 10 pm I'd be inclined to stay in Kahului. You will be dog tired after flying in from the east coast. You will want your eyelids closed as soon as possible after sundown.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

Kihei/Wailea is about 20 minutes from Kahului. You could stay at the cottages at Mama's or the Paia Inn -- or right outside the airport grounds (across from Costco!) at the new Marriott Courtyard.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

At first thought, I agree with VC about not being that big of a deal to save 40 minutes. I hate all that packing/unpacking just to stay one night in a hotel, then have to drag all of your stuff to another place. I like to be settled. Since you're from the East Coast, chances are pretty good that you'll be up at the crack of dawn that first morning anyway. Try as I might, I cannot shake the time change for a few days.

But if you get in later than 9pm, it maight be worth it as VC said.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

Kiddo...you are getting in mid-afternoon. Unless you want to do Mama's Inn (not sure if they do 1 night rentals) you really are best off just driving to Kaanapali and settling in. Just go, check in and watch your first sunset...relax and enjoy.

I've had NO problem saying bye-bye to my crew when they wanted to go up the mountain...coffee on the lanai for me! Aloha!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

OR, just head up the mountain and stay at the kula lodge---you get to enjoy a great view, great sunset and it will cut an hour or so off your drive the next morning.... on your way down, stop at the kula country farmstand and pick up some kula strawberries.... hawaii ain't all about pineapples;-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

oh, snot, strange...now you've given me ANOTHER option to ponder...my head is gonna splode. LOL. Kula lodge looks lovely...it's a definite possibility.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,825 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

I like that idea of staying at Kula Lodge wicked just because I've never been there. (Don't know about the reviews, but I really would like that locale and uniqueness.) If you do stay there (or whatever), please give us a TR! :)

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

Kula lodge - pizza for dinner, pizza for brunch ... cooked in the world's coolest outdoor pizza oven (2nd coolest is only 20 mins down the mountain @ Flatbread..) The theme of my post obviously being pizza, which I am craving, particularly one accompanied by Kula lodge's incredible views and amazing gardens.. ;)

Aloha, NKO

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yeah, yeah...i KNOW...

^ but do they have pizza there?? :P