We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel trip recommendations

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel trip recommendations

We will be in Maui next May for 6 days after having spent 6 days in Oahu. We are 2 active couples celebrating our 50th birthdays. While in Maui we plan to do some snorkeling from shore, but would also like to book a snorkel tour to Molokini or Lanai. We are experienced snorkelers and would prefer to be on a boat that isn't very crowded. We are staying at the Mahana in Kaanapali. This is our first trip to Maui and I greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

Take either Trilogy or Paragon out to Lanai. My personal favorite is Paragon as they only take 25 people. I personally would go to Molokini too, I just love the boat trips!!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

Couldn't agree with msfuzz more. If you are experienced, Lanai or Molokini are your best bet. As an experienced snorkeler, the last thing you want to do is end up someplace where you can and probably will snorkel from the shore - like Honolua.

You can have as good, if not better snorkeling from the many shore locations on Maui. But, as she said there is nothing quite like being on the water, in the Hawaiian Islands. Be it snorkel boat, Moloka'i Ferry or evening catamaran cruise.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

definitely agree with msfuzz and patrick.

we did the lana'i snorkel trip last year with trilogy. to me, sailing on the cat was the most fun....not to mention watching the pod of dolphins swim all around us.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

Paragon to Lana`i! It's never crowded, there are usually few children (if that matters to you), and she's FAST. They'll do a performance sail on the way home if at all possible.

california
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

Honalua bay. Not that far from you. Trilogy to lanai

Edited: 29 September 2012, 05:22
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

we went up to Honolua and enjoyed the ride, especially raising the sails for the trip back. WE go there by land every year, but the boat trip was special. It was a lot more fun to jump off the boat and climb back up the stairs than to have to deal with that rocky entry on land. Also the Lanai trip is great for the dolphins you get to see; the spinners are worth the trip. But the snorkeling in Lanai was poor. There's good snorkeling south of Mahana, but be very careful of the entry. You can look out off the beach and see breakers on the reef over a large area, so you have to go in around this shallow area.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

Wow, thanks everyone for the advice! From what I've read, it sounds like Molokini can get pretty crowded. How are the crowds at Lanai? Both companies get great reviews; however, I'm leaning towards Paragon as they take fewer passengers.

8. Re: Snorkel trip recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:18