We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part 1

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report part 1

Some background: hubby and I are late twenties and this is our "honeymoon trip"-even though we have been married two years! 5 days before our wedding I had an emergency appendectomy and we never got a "real" honeymoon- so we are having a "do over" now.

We are do-ers- hubby can not sit still and we both are very athletic, active people, which is one of the reasons we chose Maui- we love the beach but there is so much more to do!

Neither of us have ever been to Maui or Hawaii at all, both of us are seasoned travelers otherwise.

Day 1:

Left our warm beds in Columbus, OH at 3 am. United was nice enough to rebook our flights several times (groan) and we now had at 5:45 am departure and two stops :( I knew this would be a long day, but I had no idea. CMH to Denver was uneventful, we had a scheduled 3 hour layover. Then we were delayed over 2 hours in Denver and barely made it to our connection in SFO. In SFO we stood at the gate awhile and then they told us our plane was "broken". This turned into an 8 HOUR DELAY. I have never been so happy to board a plane. We got into OGG at midnight, picked up our rental from Alamo, (also uneventful, and after reading some horror stories here I was worried!!) 16 hours of travel turned into 26-we were wiped!

We made our way to our home base in Kihei. We are staying in a studio condo in Kihei Bay Surf- #127. It's an older, quiet complex. The condo has a comfy bed, AC, has been recently remodeled, and has a nice pool and community grill area. not sure how the other condos in the complex are, but for 65 dollars a night, this couldn't be better. The owners were kind, accommodating and responded to emails quickly. So far, we couldn't be happier! There was quite a debate when booking south versus west, and so far we love sleepy, quiet kihei. Reminds us of some of the east coast beach towns we love!

Day 2:

Due to the time change, neither of us could sleep past 5. You guys warned us this would be the case, and you were not kidding!

We got up and decided to embrace the early start with coffee and sunrise! We went to Starbucks (hubby may have a Starbucks addiction!!!!) and drove the 10 minutes down to Wailea beach for the sunrise. This beach was amazingly picturesque and lived up to all the hype we read on here- could not have been a better start to our day! We also got to watch the 4 seasons crew rake the beach and set up for the day- my how the other half lives :) After the sun was up and we had warmed up (glad we packed long sleeves) we stopped at Kihei Caffe-another suggestion from the boards. We had a fabulous breakfast! I had the fried rice (yum) and hubs had the bacon eggs and biscuit with potatoes. All yummy! We walked across the street and explored Kalama beach park, nice walk, and watched the surfers and sup-ers for a few. Quick stop at Safeway after for some food to stock the condo, and then we unpacked and headed back out. We joked we had already had a full day and it was only 9:30- getting up at 5 will do that!

We headed back out, stopped at Boss Frogs for snorkel rental for the week. They were very, very helpful. Husband has size 15 feet so fitting him in rental footwear can be a challenge. We went to Kam 1 to test out our gear and enjoy the beach. When we got there, some local guys were fishing in the spot that looked the safest (hubby has never snorkeled-wanted to start out slow!) and I'm guessing because of their bait two large tiger sharks were lurking around. Not wanting to start the trip off with a trip to the ER, we moved down the beach and laid out, swam, and enjoyed the LITERAL perfect weather. No clouds, no wind, 87 and sunny. There will be plenty of time to check out the fish and use our snorkel stuff.

We hung out for a few hours, even stopping at the condo pool for a quick dip and "happy hour". I had booked a sunset cruise for the evening. We did it with Gemini and it was lovely. The numbers were small, the boat didn't feel full, the food was good, and the views were spectacular. The pick up was at the westin resort, a bit of a haul from kihei after a long day the day before, but after we got there we agreed it was good I had planned something to try and keep us awake to try and beat jet lag. We had a quick bite at Leilani's after the cruise, hauled it back to kihei and promptly passed out! Leilani's was nice, very busy, and I had my first lava flow- so much better then a Mai tai' in my opinion! I never a drink sweet drinks, so I considered that more of a dessert :)

Thank you for all of your fabulous suggestions, so far we have had an excellent "honeymoon" :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part 1

Thanks for the report. Tiger sharks close,to shore? I'm surprised they didn't close down the beaches.

Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report part 1

Thanks for the report ... We are heading there in 2 weeks.... GO BLUE

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report part 1

While I am an OSU grad-hubby is a diehard Michigan fan. We epitomize those "without sports this wouldnt be disgusting" commercials. Needless to say he was thrilled by your response! As for the sharks- we were wayyyyy down at the south end, no lifeguards in sight and only the locals on the beach- don't think anyone saw the sharks except us and them and they were gone as quick as they came. Still gave us major pause

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report part 1

I enjoyed your comments on the Kihei Bay Surf. I am always looking for affordable lodging so I can come more often! Looking forward to the rest of your reports. Oh...and congratulations on the delayed honeymoon.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report part 1

Great start...we too had a "delayed" honeymoon and it was perfect! Seeing Maui from the water is a wonderful introduction.

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report part 1

Awesome report! :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report part 1

Oh my gosh! 26 hours of travel time?! Well, the upside is that it ended in Maui. Happy belated honeymoon. Looking forward to the next installment of your trip.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report part 1

good stuff, buckeye!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report part 1

Keep it coming! Glad to see your first day didnt ruin your trip! $65 bucks a night is pretty good deal.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report part 1

Great trip once you got there! Wow, $65/night is amazing. Did you negotiate with the owner for that price? Oh, thanks for the reminder to keep checking my United reservations. We've always had great luck with them in the past, but that was before they merged with Continental.

Love reading about your fun times! Hope you can enjoy snorkeling without the sharks!

Edited: 07 October 2012, 17:32