We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

I already know it won't be worth the suffering of doing the whole road to hana with my one year old. My question is can I drive a short distance of the route and see some cool sights and then come back? Maybe 30-45 minutes of driving in one direction.

If so, up to what point/landmark? Thanks!

Any other cool spots in Maui with a toddler?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Maui Ocean Center!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

yes and whos to say your child couldnt handle the whole day. how does your year old handle driving now? Theres plenty of stops early on the way to hana just get a good guide book or buy the cd and pick a few.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

plenty of stops along the way, yes....but the way back?

i wouldn't take a toddler. you can always go as far as haiku...then head up to makawao. easy drive and very lush.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Having just done the road two weeks ago, my husband and I were saying to one another how glad we were that we didn't have a little one in the back, no matter how much of the drive you do. The road is for adults IMHO....

A visit up to Makawow or Kula would be fun and not so "barfy"...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Why would be my question? Unless you have a child that LOVES being in the car, I would choose to do something else. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

The first problem is that it will take you 30-45 minutes from accomodations to get to the START of the RTH.

Sand pails and lots of sunscreen, checking out tide-pools and lots of sunscreen...you get the picture.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Um... no. We got to the half-way point and decided to turn around with a very sad 20 month old. Cried the whole 2 hours back to West Maui. The RTH isn't just a road that has curves, it has no straight-a-ways. For kids under 5, the best way to enjoy Maui is from their level of interest. Get sand toys, floaties for the pool, and tickets to the Maui Ocean Center.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Hey! Welcome back Jul! It's been a while!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

Hana, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I do part of Road to Hana with toddler?

Daniel at Valley Isle Excursions

It's all in how you drive the road. It's winding and curvy so if your child is in a car seat not able to see out or is staring at the ceiling or the edge of the window the whole time, they are not going to be happy. Here are a few tips from a parent who has driven the road many times with young ones.

If the parents are in the front seat and the child is alone in the back you are asking for trouble right off. Switch off between family in the back with them for a bit of variety.

Get a good meal before-hand, take plenty of snacks and treats that they love to munch on as you go.

Stop often and let them walk around. Have rewards like stopping for fruit or banana bread is great.

Make sure the stops are long enough. A 5 min stop isn't going to cut. They need time to stretch out and run around. There are stops along the road to do that.

Elevate their seat so they get to see the views as well. Check what they see at their eye level and if all they can't see is the sky and the tops of trees then that is a sure way to car-sickness.

Drive slow and smooth. Knowing the road helps but remember any jerky motion to start with will get them sick quickly and it takes time for them to reset.

Move their car seat to the middle so they can see forward between the front seats.

Time part of the journey so that they can get a nap in while you are driving. It normally works out with the second 1/2 of the road to Hana which is not as winding as the first part and has less interesting stops.

Keep this in mind... Children love riding in buses, trains, subways and vans because they get to sit with their parents who aren't doing the driving, getting lots of attention the whole time and they can see everything while not being stuck in a car seat.