We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non-refundable deposit?

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
non-refundable deposit?

Thanks for all the help I'm finding here.... one last question. We are ready to book our condo (Oceanfront Makena surf) through vrbo but I was really surprised to read that we have to pay for 2 nights as deposit, and it is non-refundable even booking this far in advance (travelling March 1-10). We aren't planning on cancelling but the other rentals I looked at all had a clause where you could cancel up to 90 days prior at minimal cost. I've never booked through vrbo before - the condo has received good reviews and I've heard great things about vrbo but now I'm a little nervous. I have the condo on a 24 hour courtesy hold and I'm coming up to hour 23 so any help is greatly appreciated! :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non-refundable deposit?

There isn't a lot of consistency when it comes to cancellation policies on VRBO. Some will allow cancellation with no penalty up to 60 days in advance, others will charge a minimal fee ($50) and others, like the rental you're interested in, have a higher penalty.

I booked a condo thru VRBO for next March on the BI with a hefty cancellation fee (equivalent to 3 nights payment) ... I too struggled with that, but I liked the condo, it gets rave reviews and is priced reasonably. If we cancel it will be for reasons that are hopefully covered by trip cancellation insurance ... i.e. I won't be cancelling for minor reasons as air is already booked. We are heading to Maui after the BI and the condo I've booked there has the 60 day/$50 cancellation penalty.

If you're nervous about booking through VRBO, you might want to have a look at their rental guarantee http://www.homeaway.com/guarantee/home.html

Are you paying for this rental with a credit card?

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: non-refundable deposit?

Thanks for your reply. I am paying with a credit card... I think that is the only option. we too have booked our flights and there are 7 of us going so not likely to cancel either!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: non-refundable deposit?

You might want to consider trip insurance. I never buy it for a trip when staying at hotels that can be cancelled on short notice. Usually get it for more expensive condos with strict cancellation policies. Had to cancel once with short notice due to illness of travel companion. No problems filing claim or getting reimbursed. I use CSA or TravelGuard.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: non-refundable deposit?

Thanks for the advice, I will look into travel guard. I appreciate your help!

5. Re: non-refundable deposit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 18:19