We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing whales from lanai?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing whales from lanai?

I'm trying to decide where to stay over spring break with two teenagers. I've read in the past people talking about seeing lots of whales, seemingly often, from their lanais during whale season. Is that really the norm? I can envision teenagers sleeping in each morning while I happily sit on a lanai watching whales. So that makes me think I need to get something oceanfront. But before I spend a lot of extra money to do so I'd like some feedback from people who've been there during whale season. Right now I'm considering the Hyatt for its affordability, the Honua Kai because it looks like a good place with teens, and a golf course/ocean views Kapalua villa because of its views but it sort of looks like not the right vibe for teens. Any thoughts? Thank you!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

When is your spring break? Later in March the whales will start to thin but there should still be lots around for lanai viewing. Take binoculars and enjoy!

With teens I think you would really enjoy that kitchen at the Honua Kai as well as a washer and dryer.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

Those are good properties but my whale watching wife prefers beachfront buildings like the Mahana, and Maui Kai. Not as upscale as the ones you listed, but we've seen whales (seemingly) 100 yards from shore at that location. The HK is set back a piece from the ocean so a good pair of binoculars would be handy.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

Thanks, y'all. We'll be there Mar 7-14 if that helps.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

There are less expensive choices for lodging -- although this is a very popular time to visit Maui and availability comes into play. I would want full ocean view any time of year, but certainly during whale season!

Look in South Maui. Teens aren't going to be bar-hopping Front Street, Lahaina anyway. I agree that Kapalua is more for adults than teens -- and could still be wet and windy in early March. Look at South Kihei. The ocean will be calmer south, and if you plan treks to Haleakala, Iao Valley, Road to Hana -- you're only 20 minutes from Kahului. (Twice that to Kaanapali.)

I like this source for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com You might also look via Bello Realty or this rental agency: www.crhmaui.com

Have you reserved your rental vehicle?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

You truly can see whales from a lanai, from almost anywhere on Maui. If that is your dream, it would be best to stay in Kaanapali or even Kihei where your teens and you will all be happy!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

Another vote for the Mahana or Maui Kai. Our 4th story room at the Mahana was so close to the water, we had to close the patio doors a couple of nights during a swell because it was so loud!!

-J

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

We stayed in Kapalua Bay Villas last year end of March and watched whales every day from our patio. Going back this year the last 2 weeks of March again. Can't wait!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

We've always seen whales from our lanai in north Kihei at Koa Lagoon. We've been there the past four years at the end of March through the first week or two of April. And you can hear them loud and clear singing in the water at Po'olenalena or any south beach. So cool! Deb

Edited: 18 October 2012, 01:49
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

Though your teens may not be bar-hopping, they are sure to love the buzz and diverse walk-able activities available on Ka'anapali proper, so the Hyatt would be a great option. Honua Kai is also an amazing property, and I would normally list this as choice #1, but it's a bit of a stroll from all the options on Kaanapali beach, though still within moderate (~2mi.) walking distance. I think either of the two would make you all happy Maui campers! :)

I love Kapalua and the villas, but I fear your teens would yearn for a bit more interactive options & excitement.

Aloha, NKO

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing whales from lanai?

We stay up in Honokowai and see whales from our lanai. It is a pretty awesome sight. And we have resident turtles in front of the condo complex. Small complex, good location and good price.