We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Topic
Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

Just saw this article and hadn't seen it posted here so thought I would share.

mauinews.com/page/…

At home I do take advantage of corkage as I love a good bottle of wine with dinner. But someone can't see myself doing it as much on vacation - but still something good to know.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

Aloha,

I'm glad you posted this, mostly because it's a good summary of the rule and where it stands now. There were some battles about it.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

>>There were some battles about it.<<

you can say that again :)

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

Just glad I could contribute instead of just taking!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

Aloha,

Yeah, it started to sound like TA threads about doing the back side of Haleakala or the Kahekili Highway!!

DP, you might even consider bringing that special bottle from home.........wrapped well and in the middle of your checked bag.

Edited: 21 October 2012, 22:33
No California
Level Contributor
241 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

It's nice that the restaurants can opt to participate, but I wonder how many folks will bring their own when the fee is $45? I do believe that is the steepest corkage fee I've ever seen (although I'm sure there are places where it's lots higher). You've got to have a really special bottle in order for that fee to be worth it.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

I am in NY and $ 45 is high by our standards. For a special dinner it is worth it since a $ 15 store bottle becomes a $ 60 restaurant bottle.

Were I checking bags I might bring one, but since the plan is carry on only - alas.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

This is the highest corkage I've heard of outside French Laundry in Napa!

HOLY SMOKES!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

""Yeah, it started to sound like TA threads about doing the back side of Haleakala or the Kahekili Highway!!""

Let's not leave Mama's out. Lot's of stong opinions there too.

Speaking of Mama's, did you notice their corking fee is $10 cheaper than Merrimans and Mala? Go figure.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

For some reason I keep chuckling at the image of some clown going into Merriman's with a bottle of Two Buck Chuck's and paying $45 to drink it :-)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just saw this on new Maui corkage rules

Our group of 7 was in Maui earlier this month and, as devoted winos, all brought some nice bottles to share in our timeshare and at a few meals out. We also bought our share of bottles. We took bottles to dinner at Cuatro (a nice Oregon pinot noir and a Paso Robles white Rhone blend) and lunch at Class Act (2nd growth Bordeaux and another good Oregon pinot). As neithe place has their own wine list, they didn't charge corkage but wine service was quite good (although they did have to search for decent stemware at Class Act).