We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

Vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

We have car rental coverage as part of our own car insurance ICBC - Roadstar Plus Package (Canada) we were advised to just show the Rental Co. the card, is this a issue with the Rental companies? We are covered and will not be taking out their insurance. Do they just check the box hat we have our own coverage, or do you need to check with the Rental Company in advance? Booking is done on line with no money needed in advance with both Budget and Hertz.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

I always just carry, and show, my insurance card...usuallythe only word I use at the car rental desk is a polite "NO"! With a smile...

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

It's not an issue and there isn't a need to check with the rental company in advance. I don't think I've ever been asked for proof that I have my own insurance ... we just decline theirs, initial the contract to confirm that we've declined, and that's it.

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

I would echo SusanM's response. In addition, check with your credit card company because if you rent with the card, you should have full coverage. For example, my citicard covers me up to $50,000 including vandalism, theft, and collision.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

Does your ICBC cover driving in the USA?

Most of us are covered when we are renting a car ... the question is for what? How much? The types of insurances that the rental car companies urge you to buy and the types you have through your regular insurance carrier are not necessarily the same. I'd bet you they are not. That's why many of us count on the supplemental rental car insurance coverage we have through trip insurance or our credit card companies (some credit card companies - not all).

That being said, I don't ever recall having to show evidence of coverage, although I do have the little card in my wallet.

Some car rental agencies really do the "hard-sell" to get you to buy their insurances. They make big bucks off the insurance. But the bottom line is - you are responsible, so it's your choice.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

BLBL ...

The rental car coverage that the OP mentions that they have does provide coverage in the U.S. and includes the following:

"-Up to $1 million Third-Party Liability coverage—if you are at fault in a crash. If you've purchased the RoadStar package it includes $1 million Third-Party Liability and $2 million if you've purchased Roadside Plus.

Up to $150,000 Accident Benefits—medical, rehabilitation, disability, funeral and death benefits.

-Up to $1 million Underinsured Motorist Protection—you are covered even if they are not.

-Collision—crash coverage with a $300 deductible.

-Comprehensive—Coverage with $300 deductible or $200 for windshield.

-Loss of Use—Up to $250 to get a rental vehicle or reimbursement for replacement transportation if you can’t drive the rental vehicle because of a crash.

-Coverage if the rental company makes a claim against you for loss of rental income.

-Also, claims on your rental vehicle policy will not affect your claim-rated scale discount."

Regarding coverage from your credit card ... that's normally limited to physical damage to the vehicle (and theft) ... i.e. collision & comprehensive,

Vancouver
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

We have Roadstar Plus package with ICBC, which gives you the higher liability re 2 million. Our credit card does not have rental insurance.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

Thanks, mky22. We've had various posts through the years from Canadians - who have a real variety of coverages and approaches. Sounds like you have done your homework and are set to have fun.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

I am going thru the process now with ctibank visa. Looks like it is give them enough paperwork and they will go away. I got a scratch underneath the door panel, must have driven over somethig. $229 to repair. Budget sent a very detailed breakdown and a copy of the damage report, But visa wants a lot more, I have already submitted 30 pages of documents and they are asking for 6 more things. If you ever get in this situation be sure to hold onto to every original paper you ever receive. For instance they want the original credit card statement, a downloaded verison is not good enough, they want the original receipt the give you when you pick up the car.

So it is not as easy as it sounds, I am sending them off one more batch of papers then turning it over to the california insurance comission

9. Re: Rental Car Companies - Own Insurance Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 09:17