We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

Today was our last full day on Maui. :( I slept in until 8:30! Crazy! I was tired from copious food and wine the night before not to mention the paddling and swimming from that morning and afternoon.

After breakfast and coffee in the condo (enjoying that amazing view!) we decided to check out Iao State Park. The drive there was nice and it was neat to see a different part of the island. The park itself and the Iao Needle were pretty and interesting to check out, although the park was much smaller than I realized. Still, it was nice to see and I'm glad we went.

After this, we drove to Walmart in Kahului because I wanted to buy some food souvenirs for our parents (who each kindly split duties watching our poodle while we were away). We bought Maui coffee, chocolate macadamia nuts and Maui cookies. I think everyone will be pleased with their treats.

We came back to the condo and ate sandwiches for lunch, then showered and dressed and headed up to Lahaina for our sunset sail on the Scotch Mist II. We had about 45 minutes to kill so hubby had a beer and we shared chips, salsa and guacamole at a restaurant near the harbor. I think it might have been called the Pioneer Inn.

Finally it was time to board. Our trip was full, which meant 14 passengers, which I was a little disappointed to see but actually the sailboat was so big (50 feet) that it did not feel crowded at all.

This was a really neat trip. The captain and first mate were so nice and friendly. You felt like you were out sailing with friends rather than "on a tour," which suited us great. The captain let me take the helm for a while which was loads of fun and he had lots of great sailing stories to tell. The beer, wine and champagne were flowing freely and as the evening went on I found out that the first mate Michelle was a fellow outrigger paddler. We chatted about paddling for a while. So neat!

The sunset was a bit of a bust tonight (it was too cloudy), but being out on the water totally made up for it, it was really beautiful.

After the sail, we headed to Maalaea to have dinner at the Waterfront restaurant. What a neat little place! Great view overlooking the harbor, lovely decor, great service and very tasty food! We both had fish. Not cheap, but delicious and still reasonable in my opinion. Well worth the money!

Now I'm sitting on the couch in our condo very much NOT looking forward to saying goodbye to Maui, but definitely looking forward up bring reunited with my little doggie, who we miss so much.

All in all this was a five-star trip! We had so many wonderful and new experiences on this trip, but I really wish we had planned for at least two more days. It really was not enough time. I would have loved another day to explore upcountry and visit the summit of Haleakala, plus another day or snorkeling and beach time. Note to self: Next time the bare minimum for Maui is nine nights!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

What a magical way to spend your last day on Maui...so sad your trip has to come to an end. :( Thanks for your trip reports!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

There's never enough time..but planning another trip helps the months tick away.You did pack alot in.Think I'll look at putting the Scotch Mist sailing on our list and we are going to paddle again next Sept.. Good to hear that The Waterfront didn't disappoint. Did you get the Chef's duo or one of the regular preparations? Nice views of the harbor and the south Maui coast line from across the bay.

Have an easy flight, especially getting through TSA with the paperwork.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

I wish you had a few more days, also, so we could enjoy more of your great daily reports.

Level Contributor
34,187 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

The sunset sail sounds really nice on the sailboat. We booked one on a regular boat and it left without us so we ended up on a dinner cruise which served horrid food. Next time it's the Scotch Mist II for us! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

If at all possible, 10 days is almost perfect for an Hawaii vacation. This is what I tell everyone who visits me from the mainland. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, I'd love to go on the Scotch Mist one of these days!! Thanks for the reports, paddle!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

Aloha,

Have a great trip home, and thanks for all the great reporting!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

Thanks for all your great reports. I enjoyed reading every one of them, and it sounds like you had a memorable vacation. Start planning that next 9-night trip right away :-)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

Doesn't seem to matter how many days we stay...it's never enough and we're up to 2 weeks now! Thanks so much for your great TR!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

Yes, ten days goes by fast, but it's nice when it's on one island. In the past we've split our time.

Glad you had a great trip.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report: Day six (sailing!)

I'm so happy you enjoyed your sail on the Scotch Mist II. I's become our favorite water excursion when we visit Maui. We went out again (our 5th time) with Captain Gene and Michelle just 4 weeks ago. Our party of 7 (plus an off-duty Scotch Mist skipper) had the boat all to ourselves and everyone loved it!

It's always among my top recommendations when folks ask "what should I do when visiting Maui?"