We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching

I will be in Maui from Dec 15-22nd. It's a surprise destination for our 5-year anniversary. I've determined a lot of different things to do while we are on the island.

We definitely would want to do some whale watching (was in Monteray CA off season two yrs ago and was disappointed to not see any whales). We will probably end up doing a sport fishing excursion, as well as a snorkel trip to Molokini. All advertise that they will do whale-watching when in season. Where are some good places to do whale watching on land?

We will be staying at the Marriott Wailea and have a rental car the entire trip.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching

You are on the early side for whale watching.

Fun snorkel trip leaving just up the road leaving from the Kihei boat Ramp is http://www.bluewaterrafting.com/ They have awesome whale watch trip but don't start them up until whales numbers are up, usually in January. But these guys with Blue water, love whales so if they spot one while heading to the snorkel spots, they will stop and gaze.

From land if there are any around, just past Ma'alaea Harbor at McGregor Point or a few 100 ft at Papawai Point, you will have a good view down to in the bay where moms give birth to the little ones. When the whales are thick you can watch from the lawn of the Marriott.

You will also have awesome snorkeling at many Maui beaches. Check Top Questions on the right of this page. Ulua Beach and Waliea Beach are located on the sides of the Marriott. Both have very good snorkeling.

Have a wonderful trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching

Even if you don't see whales, you will have the trip of a lifetime and see lots of marine life with Blue Water Rafting. A fantastic excursion any time of year. We took their 5.5 trip in May, no whales but a fantastic time! Their whale watching excursion still remains high on my bucket list!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching

If the whales are out there you will see them during your boat trips. Just don't count on it and if it happens, you will feel special!!

The place barefoot recommends whale watching from shore is a great one. Also if they are out there you can actually see them from any shore.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure if they were seen more in certain areas of the island. Thanks again.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching

December is hit or miss for whales. But I agree, Blue Water Rafting is a blast. We went twice on them this past winter. Ask for Captain Demetrius. He's a hoot. When we went back on the second trip we asked for him again and got him. The trip to the Kanaio Coast is not to be missed.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
202 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching

The Pacific Whale institute is a good place but I don't think whales are in Hawaii this time of year. We went in March and saw dozes. It is located on the way to lahaina.

7. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 13:35
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching

Do you mean the Pacific Whale Foundation? There has already been a few whale sightings here in there. They started showing up in early September this year, usually come by one or two in late October.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
202 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching

Yes, that's the place,sorry. I wasn't sure when the whales came. It is a good place to view them

10. Re: Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:16