We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Hi all,

Looking to fly from Kona to Kahului in May 2013. Have booked all my other inter island flights with Hawaiian Airlines but the times don't suit for this flight.

Looking into booking with Island Air. Can anyone tell me if there have been any problems with this airline? Is it safe and most importantly RELIABLE?? I've looked at some old threads which seem to be mixed but was hoping for recent info.

Cheers

Amy

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

we have used Island Air frequently for years between HNL and the West Maui airport JHM. They have always been dependable and easy to use. They use Canadair turboprops so they are not as fast as the Hawaiian Air jets, but for such a short distance it matters little. Like any airline they do from time to time change their schedule, so be alert for that. You may find it more convenient to fly into JHM yourself rather that OGG, which is further from almost all of the resorts.

I believe that they use the main terminals at both Kona and Kahului, but you should check on that. They may use the commuter terminals.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Island Air is fine, good alternative to Hawaiian if that doesn't work for you. Island Air does leave from the commuter (inter-island) terminal in Kahului.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Aloha,

Island Air leaves from the main terminal at OGG, not the little commuter terminal that is out behind the old (mostly unstaffed) rental car counters.

They also use the main terminal at Kona.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Pay attention to the requirement for small carry-on baggage. My carry-on was deemed too large as we were boarding and was thrown into the cargo hold, damaging my computer. (I would have removed it -- and my jewelry and meds -- had I known we were going to be 'separated'!)

This is a fine alternative if you are not making an important connection after this flight. It's a small line, with limited aircraft. They may change their schedule before you fly in May. Their schedule change proved expensive for us -- we had to change our tickets and fly to Honolulu a day early to make our departure flight home from HNL. (Charge to change tickets, plus the costs of a hotel stay in Honolulu, plus back and forth to the airport.)

Edited: 31 October 2012, 22:03
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Sorry about the wrong info, got it off the Island Air web-site.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Aloha,

They call it the "interisland terminal", which it is-but that's not the commuter terminal. If you look at the picture there, it shows the area nicely.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Repeated story. My daughter left her purse on an IA plane in Hilo. The night manager, after contacting me on the main land and using her phone, delivered my daughter's purse to her where she was staying near Pahoa. It was extremely complicated figuring out exactly where she was staying. All I knew was she was with a college roommate. But he worked with me and we after more phones calls and a few hours, we figured it out.

Serious Aloha.

Had nothing but good luck flying with them too :)

We LOVE Island Air.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 00:41
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Thanks so much for all the info! Will book my flights now :)

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Also, noticed two years ago that fares booking directly with Island Air on its web site were less expensive than going through, for example, Hawaiian Air who had a code share with them, so be sure to check things.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Air - Recommended or Not??

Checked baggage fees are actually higher than on Hawaiian http://www.islandair.com/flight-info/baggage/

Lots of reviews at www.airlinequality.com/Forum/islandair.htm

Edited: 01 November 2012, 12:56