We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Petaluma, CA
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

We took our annual trip to Maui October 20-28 and stayed at the Maui Ocean Club in a one bedroom suite in the Lanai tower of the original building. As we go every year, we tend to do a lot of relaxing in the sun and eating good dinners and not much else, so not much of a trip report! Just some things I thought I would pass on.

We flew Hawaiian Airlines out of Oakland. The plane was wider than the Alaska plane last year. Two seats, three in the middle and two seats. Much roomier. Something I didn't know, they are the last domestic carrier to serve you an actual meal for free. Wow! The breakfast going over was ok, but coming back we got a really good lunch. I would fly with them again in a heartbeat.

I booked our car with Budget through Costco because the price kept coming down. It was $183 for 8 days for a full size car, which is supposed to be a Camry or similar. I won't use them again. It took over an hour to get our car. The place was jammed and they had employees not helping customers because they were there for preferred members, even though there were none. When we finally got the keys and went out to the lot, they gave us a huge Lincoln Towncar. It was like driving a boat. Luckily, we don't do a lot of driving, as it was too big for some of the windy roads and the gas mileage was horrible. I'll go back to Alamo.

We had some really good dinners. Went to the Lahaina Grill twice and it was divine. Food was wonderful and the service was excellent (thank you Mary!). Also enjoyed Tomato Basil Restaurant in Kaanapali. Really good Italian food and not too expensive.

Duke's was just ok this time. We did not get a table down by the water. Lots of families and fussy kids. Not sure we will go back there next year.

And finally, a word of warning about the security lines at the airport when you leave. We got to the airport a little over an hour before our flight. Check in went fine, but the security lines were so long and slow, that we had to run to catch our flight. I thought we would miss it for sure. We were almost the last ones to get on the plane. Get to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

Overall, it was paradise. Warm and relaxing and I can't wait to go back next year!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for the trip report.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Thanks for the TR.

We are flying Hawaiian from SFO next june I heard they have the wide body planes now good to know we have flown on them with Delta from ATL much more comfortable.

Don't worry we will be at the airport in plenty of time hubby is very anal about this matter we always get to the airport 2hrs before flight time sometimes earlier.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Thanks for your observations. "Relaxing in the sun" is my idea of a perfect vacation.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Just read that Hawaiian Air doubled it's Bay Area / OGG flights, adding 90,000 extra seats annually to the routes -- hope this also results in some added competition and better fares! :)

Nice that you liked Basil Tomatoes, but curious if you dined during their 50% off happy hour? Four of us ate there awhile back, as my surf instructor cousin had a friend that was serving at Basil's -- total for four of us DURING happy hour was over $200, with perhaps several drinks -- the cioppino alone was $45 I believe.. prior to discount. And while I understand them wishing to make sure their waitstaff are amply compensated during this hour, sometimes the addition of an automatic 18% (which works out to 36% of happy hour bill) gratuity negates receipt of conscientiousness service.

Like much of the Caribbean & Bahamas, there is simply no incentive to insure patrons are well-taken care of, and I normally tip well in excess of mandatory additions for proper service. On a positive note, I did really enjoy the owners Olowalu farm-grown tomatoes! :)

Don't mean to unfairly bag on the place, but this is 1st time I've seen anyone mention dining there in a long while. Too bad you had a negative experience at Duke's -- sometimes, obnoxious patrons or their out-of-control kids can spoil an otherwise good time..

Aloha, NKO

Edited: 31 October 2012, 22:56
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Maui airport...... That happened to us, with 2 hrs. It was a busy summer time. We got to the airport with p,entry of time, it my thing. Well. TSA......everyone that night almost missed there flights.......

I wrote a letter.....wonder if others did....

Thanks for your report

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Your "odds and ends" add up to a perfect stay for me! TSA has been a real crap shoot for us...loooong lines one trip, zip through the next.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

We will be staying at Maui Ocean Club in March - one bedroom ocean view - what can you tell me about it?

Thanks

Petaluma, CA
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

NKO,

We did not eat there during the 1/2 off hour. The pasta dishes were from $18 to $30. Some of the dishes were high; over $40, but that was the case everywhere in Maui that we went to.

This place was different and we enjoyed it. It would be nice to go when things are 1/2 off.

You're right. The tomatoes were great.

I would go here again before Duke's, as Duke's seemed more like a "chain" than this place. We have had good meals at Duke's. This time was just a "miss".

Again, I just love being in Maui, so I don't complain!

Petaluma, CA
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

DP,

We had a one bedroom with a "mountain garden view". Right out the window were the mountains and when you went on the balcony, to the right was the ocean. It would be an ocean view at many hotels, I'm sure. It was nice not to have the hot afternoon sun that you get with an ocean front room.

The Maui Ocean Club is the older building, so no full kitchen or laundry in the room. We did kind of miss the full kitchen this time. We had a microwave that did not work and they came and put a new one in. The service at the hotel was great. The room did seem to be showing it's age.

Next year we will spend some extra "vacation points" and stay in the Lahaina/Napili towers instead and get the full kitchen. We really love this property. Great location and beautiful pool and grounds. You will love it.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few odds and ends about our trip -- trip report

Very nice report! We also had a Lincoln town car & loved it! We had 4 in our group so it was nice and roomy. :)