We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
549 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

I've usually gone to Maui in peak season, january or february and am considering going this year in mid March..But to anyone out there who goes to maui at other times of year, I was wondering, if I waited a bit, say to late April or May, do the airfares generally go down significantly, or not really that much? I usually travel out of Vancouver, but sometimes from L.A.

From Canada when I usually go, the airfaire has usually been about $1000 return. How much do the hotel rates typically go down at the same time?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

Mid-March is still peak season...Mainland spring breaks! I've watched prices drop during late April, after Easter, through May for both air and lodging.

The caveat here is that Hawaii tourism is on the up-tick...finally and that may not hold true.

We pick a price point we are comfortable with and book when we reach it...in our case, flying from Seattle in Feb., anything under $500 R/T is fair game but since we book lodging a year out and our days are set in stone we have to deal with those parameters.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

I usually only see lower fares for some of the shoulder season - late April/May OR Sept to early December . . .summer is always higher, though not as high as Christmas or Springbreak! :)

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

I've gotten 2 RT tickets from SEA, in peak summer with miles, 3 years in a row at 17,500 per leg on Hawaiian. 70,000 miles for 2 RT tickets. Extremely low. I start looking way in advance and have seen big swings in what it takes. One day, it's 17,500. Next it's 30,000. And then its' back down.

I assume prices fluctuate the same.

Keeping checking every day.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
396 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

we often fly through Vancouver. Just watch your prices. Westjet yesterday had a sale at $602 Vancouver-OGG direct (high season), but I think that was their weekly one-day sale only (these are always Thursdays). My rule of thumb is if it's $650 or less (all in), I just go ahead and book it. You can get these rates both in high and low season, you just have to watch for them. Of course, in off-season you can be more flexible as you don't have to nail down dates for your condo so far in advance.

During high season you also have Allegiant out of Bellingham (may be worth the drive).

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

So the question is, will prices be lower if you travel in April or May. Easter is the last Sunday in March in 2013. It would seem logical that prices would drop for late April and May, but who knows how the airlines think.

Sorry I don't have an answer about the airlines.

Prices do drop on condos and car rental.

Prices head back up with the summer travel demands come June.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

Like coalminer said, fares are lower for the shoulder seasons.......and I 'm referring to Alaska Airlines because that's the only airline we fly out of Alaska. The tricky part is being willing to wait to buy the tickets, if there's more than just my husband and I traveling. Then there's zero flexibility with the dates cause we are with adult kids on vacation from work. And we have to factor in being able to get seats on the plane because Hawaii flights are very popular with Alaskans and we don't have as many options. So....yup....I pick a number and just buy the tickets. We are stay in inexpensive condos, so I don't get too upset if I pay more for the tickets cause our lodging is so reasonable. And we do vacation in March/April and Seot./October most of the time for low season rates and less people on island. Deb

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

We usually try to travel to Hawaii in the off season but our last trip was in march 2011 to see the whales and yes flight proves were high as we travel from the east coast but we had enough airmiles with Delta for one free ticket and $450 in pay with miles for the other so it was still cheap.

Our next trip which is in June I have had to get creative since our daughter is coming with us so having to pay for 3 instead of 2. Prices from here in the summer are about a grand a piece hubby would never go for that lol. I have been earning Hawaiian airmiles so I had enough to pay for one way with those and saw that HA had segments from SFO for 17,500 and the other leg was $300 each so jumped on that. We will use our Delta companion certificate to get from here to SFO do only have to pay for 2. This way we will only have to pay $600 a piece instead of a grand.

The cost of flying to Hawaii from the east coast is what prohibits us from going to Hawaii every year. You folks on the west coast are lucky!

I would say yes if you go in the off season apr/may you will find cheaper rates they are usually 200-300 cheaper here and would be the time we would choose to go but daughter is a teacher so we have no choice next year.

Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

Thanks for the info, everyone...I wasnt aware that summer travel to maui was popular...I would have thought most people would go when winter is coldest where they live...I guess I'll just keep checking for sales..

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

Actually anytime mainland kids are out of school is a busy time for Hawaii...it's a huge family destination vacation spot. It's us oldsters who keep the islands busy in the winter months! And, yes, most of us are fleeing ugly weather.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do airfares go down significantly in spring/early summer?

One of the best things about having grown up kids is not having to adhere to a "school schedule" for travel, especially to Hawaii! It does allow for savings on airfare.......at least with Alaska Airlines. Deb