We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

Greetings! Heading to the island in December with our son and daughter (13,11). Looking at doing a snorkel tour and I'm wondering which you would recommend. Have been going through the reviews, but would love to have any recent thoughts about where to go and who to travel with. Thanks for your help.

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

It depends on where you are staying. We really enjoyed Kai Kanani's early morning snorkel excursion to Molokini. They leave from the Makena Beach resort and have transportation from the Wailea resorts. I liked being first out to the snorkel site and having the full day ahead of us afterward. Crew was great and we would definitely do it again.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

m a big fan of the PWF trips to Molokini. I thought Lanai was a waste of time and in December can be tough rough to snorkel

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

I tend to stay away from the PWF boats unless it's one of their smaller tours which are fairly new. I love snorkeling both Molokini and Lanai, it all depends on whether you can afford Lanai and how long of a tour you want to take. Trilogy and Paragon are my favorite boats for the Lanai trip. If you go to Lanai you will have a good chance of seeing dolphins which you won't see if you go to Molokini.

Any boat trip in the winter months can be tricky where weather is concerned.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

Both have kinda mediocre snorkeling. But that said we have deone both several times. Lanai is cool for the long sailing trip over, the chance to see a different place, walk around, etc. Molokini is just cool for what and where it is...the mo'o's tail to match the head that is Puu Olai, way out in the ocean.

We prefer Trilogy or Paragon. The Paragon sailing is more fun, we thing, but both do a fine job. If we area staying at the Makena Resort, we use Kai Kanani.

Edited: 03 November 2012, 20:35
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

Yes we always do the PWF small boat tours...they have rarely been full....

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

I, too, avoid PWF.

Prefer Trilogy, but Paragon gets good reviews as well. I would choose Lanai over Molokini - which tends to get crowded with boats and people. Lanai is a different island - different experience.

Please tell us where you are staying.

7. Re: Snorkel Lanai or Molokini and with who?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:16