We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlet Malls

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
Save Topic
Outlet Malls

Info from Maui Jon's November 2012 Newsletter

"Construction starts this month to convert the Lahaina Center into The Outlets of Maui. The ten buildings at 900 Front Street (corner of Papalaua) will turn into the first outlet mall on Maui.

Hilo Hattie will remain as the main anchor store. Two of the current restaurants, Hard Rock Cafe and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, will also remain. The third restaurant, David Paul's Island Grill has closed. Warren and Annabelle's Magic Show will remain.

It's not yet known what new stores will open when the remodeling is completed in the second half of 2013. But a similar outlet mall on the island of Oahu includes outlet stores for Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, Coach, Guess, Levi's, Polo Ralph Lauren, and Saks Off 5th.

This change at Lahaina Center will not affect the Old Lahaina Center across the street, which includes the Maui Theater, Starbucks, ABC, Foodland, post office, and many small stores and restaurants.

The new mall in Lahaina is unrelated to another proposed outlet mall in Kihei, called Maui Outlets, but that one is being held up by protests about land use and development in that area.

For lots of info about places to shop on Maui now, without waiting for these new outlet malls, see Maui Shopping."

Maui Jon's site:

www.mauihawaii.org

You can sign up for the monthly newsletters from the home page.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outlet Malls

Aloha,

Yep, there were a couple of threads about this a few months ago. It has been in the works for about 2 1/2 years.

The Kihei thing is a whole 'nother beast..............plus the new "downtown Kihei" development that looks like it will go forward. It will be Kihei Koncrete from end to end soon.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outlet Malls

Thanks dusty, appreciate the timely info

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outlet Malls

sw

Didn't mean to start a new thread as there evidently was an on-going thread.

I did do a search for outlets on the Maui forum & didn't see a recent one.

I don't like when someone starts a new thread when one with the same topic already exists.

I don't get on the TA Hawaii forums as much now. Don't have as much time as when I lived in Hawaii.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outlet Malls

Yep, SW and I beat you to it. Score: BLBL - 1; Dusty - 4,532.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Outlet Malls

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"....

After they are built almost every Mauain will shop there.

If you have a Costco card, raise your hand!!!!

The inexorable movement towards a modern service-based urban economy from a rural, agraian past.

Think of all the new, spend-happy Aussies and Japanese visitors.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outlet Malls

Wonder if the outlet mall will still have pay parking?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outlet Malls

ALoha,

No worries, Dusty! The first thread was actually about David Paul's restaurant, back in August, and when it closed the thread turned to the Outlet project since it became public in August. Then Bl posted a specific one a few weeks later.

I think the outlet mall in Lahaina is a good project. That center has struggled for years, partially due to high rents.

The projects in Kihei--well, Kihei is dry, ugly, and the ground might as well be paved...........and the 'downtown' project will at least have some variety and 'style', so to speak.

Since I hate shopping, I'll prob be the last person to shop at any of them!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outlet Malls

SW, I dislike outlet malls in Oregon and can't imagine spending time shopping at one on Maui. Still trying to figure out where downtown Kihei is.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outlet Malls

I wouldn't worry, Julauf. This won't be a fraction of the size of the outlets in OR or CA.

I dropped by the Cannery Mall yesterday (Starbuck's was calling), and the place looks SAD! I imagine that Long's and Safeway keep it alive ... but I have never been in there when it wasn't practically empty.

10. Re: Outlet Malls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:16