We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compact Car VS. Jeep??

Longview, WA
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Compact Car VS. Jeep??

So we will be in Maui in May for a week. I would love to go topless in a jeep for the week....hubby thinks we should save the extra cash and go compact? Thoughts? Ideas? Will we really be in the car a ton?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

Save the money.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

A jeep or convertible is really fun...for one trip! You will soon find them kind of a pain. It does rain for a few minutes whereever you are on island and you need to scramble to raise the top...then lower it when it stops.

There is no safe room for your luggage for random stops.

We've rented converibles twice and spent much more time with the top up!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

Parking spaces are small on Maui and if you plan to drive the RTH, it's easier in a smaller car. Based on the high number of Jeeps I see on the Road to Hana, not everyone agrees......lol! But I prefer the tight corners in a smaller car and I would rather spend less on a rental car and more on art or good food. Deb

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

I'm currently in Maui renting a Ford Focus. Great gas mileage. Drove up to Haleakala summit today, thought the handling was pretty good. Acceleration is not the greatest, but you're not going to drag race in Maui anyways.

Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

Go with a Mustang Convertible, it has a full trunk even when the top is down. We rent one every year and love it!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
412 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

friends just had a jeep. it was fun to drive, but they hated not having a place to lock stuff up (like groceries)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

I vote for a small compact car. Parking spaces are extra small and the jeep can not keep your belongings secure.

Our highest speed limit is 55 mph so a big engine would just gobble up gas.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

I agree with mamma , I think she summed it up perfectly "a jeep is really good fun .. for the one trip."

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

Convertibles and jeeps are two entirely different experiences when it comes to putting the top or down. Jeep is manual and time consuming. If you get caught in the rain, you get wet. Convertibles go up quickly. I'm surprised anyone would lump them into the same category. They aren't even close.

But high mileage economy car is preferred now days.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compact Car VS. Jeep??

One thing I hated about the convertible mustang we rented one year, NO TRUNK SPACE!

But it was fun for that one trip.

Probably won't ever do that again though.

Compacts are fine. Remember life slows down while you are in Maui :)