We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana

Portland, Me
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana

Okay, my wife really wants to go. I have some reservations, so I'm looking for some honest feedback.

A. I'm not a good passenger when it comes to others driving on a normal highway, so this trip has me particularly stressed out. I'm nervous when I'm not in control of the vehicle and I know I won't be the one driving. I won't spend much time looking at the scenery on this trip because I'll be irrationally thinking about how we're about to careen off a cliff to a firey death.

B. I'm not hiker guy either. I hear there is some pretty sweet scenery out there, but how easy it is to get to once you've gotten to the point you must leave the car and walk around? I don't do well with rocky terrain or hills (bad knees).

Should I stay at the tiki bar at the hotel and just enjoy the pictures they come back with or is the treacherous nature of this trip to Hana over exagerated?

Thanks for your responses.

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana

Go on the drive! It's beautiful.. you won't be disappointed! :)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana

great scenery, so do it once. Well, then you have to drive back The road is in excellent condition, only problem being that it is extremely narrow in many spots and there are a few blind curves. And those scared drivers in front of you going too slow for safety and refusing to use the pull offs. Just be ready to yield and follow the yield signs. But as the driver you will enjoy it more if you pull off often and enjoy the views. The entire road to hana is not all that curvy, only a stretch in the middle; most of it is just your basic straight wide road.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana

I am the driver in our family and love driving this road. I also do it confidently because of my experience driving as a lifelong Alaskan and driving the RTH as far as Wa'ianapanapa State Park many times. Now......none of that matters to my husband who doesn't like this road and calls it " the road to stress!!!". We went to mm 19 in October and he still whined on the short drive back! So my motto us, everybody has to be having fun and I was fine to only go that far to make my guy happy.

We aren't really hikers either because my guy has not so great knees too. He loves to swim and we appreciate Maui 's beaches more than her hiking trails. If you can at least handle it to mm 19 at Ke'anae, you take a left into that town and can get world class banana bread at Auntie Sandy's plus many, many photo ops along the way. Yes, going all the way to the end is preferred by many but compromise often makes everyone happy.....at least with me and my husband! Lol.....have fun! Deb

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,551 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana

so beautiful...have you ever heard of the "painted eucalyptus"trees. they were one of my favorite "new" things that i have seen. driven the road about 7 times, and always have to do the road, when on maui.

there are many places to stop, if you feel like standing still for a while, but the road is really worth the drive. there are many produce stands on the way, and they will let you try all the fruit. we tried 6 kinds of banana, including the "ice cream" banana. great food stands on the way. if the lady with the mac nut brittle is on the road, try some...goood. have fun.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana

Well here is the 2-3 hour drive condensed to 7 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ER2K-ERLlk just to give you an idea.

We did the drive years ago, I drove, and when we got back we vowed never to go again...it's also often referred to as "The Road to Divorce"! HA

In Feb. we decided to try the tour with Valley Isle and had a wonderful day...I too am a lousy passenger in a car but the buses don't seem to bother my control freak side.

We're not hikers either so the nice stops with the tour provided just what we wanted.

I'm glad we did the tour, for us it was a much, much more enjoyable experience and our guide was full of interesting info, we learned more than we ever would have driving on our own.

Now that we have done it both ways it's going into our "been there, done that" file.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana

Wise words from letsgotohawaiiasap. It really doesn't matter how beautiful the scenery may be, if your stomach is in your throat the entire time, you won't enjoy it. My advice; go to Kaua'i next time, where you can enjoy stunning, exotic landscapes without the hair-raising, white-knuckle experience. And enjoy a few mai-tais at the tiki bar. I might change that if it meant your wife would be going it alone though.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana

I believe some of this is overstated. The drive IMHO isn't white knuckle or treacherous. It's probably not half as bad as you are imagining. Long and winding is more like it!! If you have the money, spring for one of the tour companies. They've been on this road hundreds of times and know it like the back of their hands. That way all in your party can enjoy it. No need to hike if you don't want to. You can see most of the waterfalls from the car. There are pull offs where you can get out of the car and walk along the road for picture taking. If you don't take a tour, still go. I'm not one for only doing a partial trip either. You miss the best parts of this glorious side of the island. Like the best waterfalls and Lindbergh's grave, both which are a bit beyond Hana.

Portland, Me
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana

Thanks for the comments folks.

California
Level Contributor
442 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana

I've always wanted to do the Road to Hana and Mamma's video allowed me to see it in 7 minutes instead of hours. That was really fun to watch... Thank you

10. Re: Road to Hana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:18