We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

Ok we are hoping o come next summer for our 5 year anny. We've been quite a few times to Maui and were also married there. We love it. A friend of mine just went to both. She said maybe we should try something diff fr a change. Weve talked of Kauai and dh has been but he prefers Maui over to Kauai. When we do come to Maui sometimes we will split our time between Wailea and kaanapali. Not always but we try. We have our favorites know where to go etc. but I do feel a little desire to see Kauai. We only have 8-9 days and we want to relax. We've seen a lot maybe do road to Hana since we I'd that 7 years ago. Maybe go paia for day etc. if we split the time will we feel more rushed? Budget isn't an issue we r going mostly on mile points and spg points. Any advice appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,279 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

We have been to Maui 6 times and Kauai 1 time, our next trip over that way will be Kauai.

If you want to relax, we can do that so much better in Kauai than in Maui.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

We have been to Maui many times in the past five years. We just visited Kauai for a mini three day vacation and will be there again this January for eight nights. We're more familiar with Maui, stay on the south side and are totally capable of relaxing on Maui. Most of the time our favorite beach is empty every morning! We love Maui.....and the comfortable feeling we have on this island.

We're excited to explore Kauai and have new experiences on a different island. In a perfect world, we would visit both Kauai and Maui in a year.......on seperate trips in May and October. We prefer to spend such a short time as under ten days on only one island (we left our daughter and her bf on Maui with the car and condo when we visited Kauai a month ago).

I think you would have a great time on Kauai and it would be more relaxing to simply stay on one island. JMHO.....either way you can't lose because the choices are awesome! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

Thanks letsgo sounds a lot like us we also have been many times in the last 7 years and are very comfortable with Maui and have our favorites and can easily relax or go see more. Very torn.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
449 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

I love them both. Why not experience something new? :)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

I would suggest spending time on the Kauai forum because that island is every bit as much loved as Maui is by Maui regulars! That is the reason I booked a trip so soon after spending the three days there! I knew we would find plenty of beaches, restaurants and places to explore, while still doing it in a relaxing pace.

You are hoping to visit in the summer, meaning the entire island of Kauai should be enjoying better weather! We know that a January visit could mean more rain, but we want to escape winter for nine days and don't need constant sun and swimmable ocean to be happy.

My new motto is that change is refreshing so our next visit to Maui, in a year, we will stay in a different condo for the first time and spend two days at KBH to better explore the west side. Kauai's north shore is breathtakingly beautiful and we are looking forward to finding new adventures. Good luck with your choice! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

We have spent time nearly every year since 1976 on most of the Hawaiian islands. How will you know your favorite unless you venture out! We all have a different island calling us.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

We have spent time nearly every year since 1976 on most of the Hawaiian islands. How will you know your favorite unless you venture out! We all have a different island calling us.

And to some, Hawaii is just a beautiful place to vacation. That's ok, too

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Francisco
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

While I do prefer Maui over Kauai, I do think that it is well worth it to see Kauai at least once. A real shorthand way of differentiating it for me is that Maui is better for the water/ocean while Kauai is better for the land.

Maui for me is so balanced. There is something for everyone in Maui. However, Kauai has some really awesome scenery and vistas, as well as beautiful foliage. The island has an older, very "South Pacific" feel to it, while Maui has a more raw, younger feel (especially in the Makena area).

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
761 Reviews
Maui, HI
@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

Both. It's your anniversary, too.

Congratulations, BTW, on the 5 years.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui or Kauai or both!.?. Torn a Maui lover :)

Variety is the spice of life and I so understand your dilemma!! I've been trying to get back to Kauai for years and still head over to Maui almost automatically!! Don't split the time whatever you do. My feeling is you should go to Kauai just because you've never been there.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii