We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Anyone on this forum being to Honolua Bay in the recent days? Is the bay calm enough for snorkeling?

Honolua bay is one of my favorite snorkeling spots in Maui, but we have only been there during the summer months, when the bay is calm as a giant pool.

We just arrived Maui today for 7 nights, and would like to get out there early one morning, if the condition is good.

Thanks!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Kapalua had red flags yesterday, so I"d take that as a fairly decent indicator that Honolua was rippin big time. We kicked out for awhile, but stayed in pretty close. It's been very erratic the past few days, so best check surfline.

My nephew said he was headed out to Honolua with friends early am tomorrow & they don't surf unless it's hittin' pretty hard..

Alo)(a, NKO

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

look at surfnewsnetwork.com Days vary...last March we were lucky with some good days....however if it has been raining a lot, it can get very murky from the stream.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Thanks.

We will skip Honolua bay this time. We will go to Ka'napali beach and visit our turtle friends at Black Rock instead.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Napili is beautiful today! :)

Edited: 20 November 2012, 01:03
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
231 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

We went to Honolau Bay for snorkeling today. It was great...very calm and clear. We got there about 10:30am and stayed until noon. I liked it much better than snorkeling Napili yesterday, although that was better than expected.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

You know, that's a great idea!

Is there a charming place in Napili for breakfast?

Now I am thinking the morning at Napili, then the afternoon at Ka'napali beach area. Then Lahaina for dinner.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Oh, Honolua bay was calm today...

Honolua Bay is amazing for snorkeling as long as the water is calm. We are planing a full day in West Maui this Wednesday, I guess, we just have to stop by and see the condition for yourselves.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Definitely hit the Gazebo at the Napili Shores for breakfast, the ominous line moves fast, but if the wait is just too long....simply roll over to the Sea House at the Napili Kai & order the Haleakala Pancake -- I assure you that your life will never be the same! :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

We went to Sea House.

That was an awesome suggestion. Lovely restaurant, causal, yummy food, and the VIEW.

Napili Bay is beautiful. We played there for couple of hours after our breakfast.

Thank you.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Okay to snorkel Honolua bay currently?

Glad you enjoyed it, Happy! You weren't by chance sitting on the rail in the corner table? I was actually sitting in the next one over & overheard mention of being from the bay area. :)

We kicked out at Honolua yesterday morning just as the Trilogy arrived - thankfully, they parked on the north side of the bay & many chose to remain aboard -- it was perfect out there! ;)

Kapalua & the entire north shore have been inordinately beautiful these past several days..

Edited: 24 November 2012, 19:02