We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makena Resort Buffet

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Makena Resort Buffet

We loved the breakfast buffet there years ago. Then ownership changed and the buffet went a bit downhill it seemed. Have things improved over there yet?

Just debating booking our Christmas Dinner there or at the Kea Lani. Both have Christmas Buffets. The Kea Lani's is about double the cost, but includes alcohol and a bit of entertainment.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

I'm assuming you are talking about the Sunday Brunch as opposed to their every day breakfast buffet? I haven't heard a lot lately but do know they hired a new chef since the ownership change.

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Yes, I am referring to their Sunday Buffet. I know a Christmas Dinner Buffet would be very different, but just wondering if things have improved over there. The overall resort reviews seemed to have improved which is a positive sign. I am hoping the dining has as well.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Our daughter and SIL stayed there in September and said the Sunday buffet was quite good. Spendy -- but good!

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Thanks for the feedback! I think we may just give it a try for Christmas Dinner. I sounds like the new owners have worked out most of the issues they were having a year or so ago. I hope so anyways!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Good luck, HockeyFan09, I will be interested in your feed back.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Not sure about the Chrismas buffet, but we ate at the friday night seafood buffet at the MBDR in august and we were decidedly unimpressed. Food was so-so and the room itself is rather depressing. For Christmas I would try the FS.

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Thanks Dada. Actually after some discussion our family has decided to spend the $$$ for the Christmas Dinner Buffet at the Fairmont Kea Lani. Location/atmosphere was a big factor. We'll be outside on the lawn in front of the ocean. Should be a nice way to spend our Christmas dinner/evening.

I just don't want to risk having any disappointment Christmas Day. The Makena Resort just still seems to risky.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Actually, if I'm going to spend that kind of money for Christmas dinner, I'd forget about the buffet and go to Mama's Fish House (assuming it's open on Christmas Day). The chocolate Tahitian Pearl dessert is MUCH beter than any plum pudding. :-D

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

Yes, that is a great place! We are all staying in Kihei and Wailea, so we wanted something on that end of the island. Last year's christmas dinner reviews for the Kea Lani seemed all very good. I will definitely report back!

10. Re: Makena Resort Buffet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 01:16