We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking on Maui

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking on Maui

Hi :) I'm hoping some of you experts may know some good hikes that aren't too strenuous. I have two planned already. I am doing a full day with a private guide to Hana and then I'll also hike the small Waimea hike. Oh, and I also have planned to hike the short trail in the Iao Valley too. We are staying 10 days and I was hoping to find a few more, short but scenic hikes. Nothing super strenuous, but we are used to hiking a few miles or so. We are staying 5 days in Ka'anapali and 5 days in Kihei. Any ideas?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking on Maui

The Kapalua area, just north of Ka'anapali has a terrific network of hiking trails. Most are easy to moderate and offer some stunning views. Here's a link where you can read about their trails and download pdf maps.

http://kapalua.com/activities/hiking-trails

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking on Maui

On the northwest side, past Kapalua is the Ohai Trail .. a short hike with great views overlooking the ocean ...good to do if you're heading to the Nakalele blowhole. hawaiigaga.com/maui/…ohai-trail.aspx

It's around MM41 on the Kahekili Hwy (coming from Kapalua), and starts at a parking area where there's a viewpoint http://goo.gl/maps/Vaxnw

I really like the Kapalua Coastal Trail between Kapalua Beach and Oneloa Beach (it's in the link that VC provided) .. you can park at Kapalua Beach parking lot, or if you start at the other end, there's a public parking lot across from the Ironwoods condos (at 'A' on this map: http://goo.gl/maps/nWt5J )

Your Hana day with a private guide sounds interesting ... hope you'll report back. Enjoy!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking on Maui

Aloha,

I SO hope your private Hana day isn't with Alex of "Jungle Tours". He prides himself on trespassing onto private property.

With all the public beauty on Maui, there is NO reason to trespass and violate the private property rights that exist here (like anywhere).

I would rec Hiking Maui for a hiking tour that will NOT trespass. Any private property they hike on is by agreement with the landowner, and they are a super company.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking on Maui

Hi! Thanks all :) I looked into Kapalua yesterday (a note on another forum) and wanted to make sure this was open to the public. That is good to know that you suggested it. I downloaded a brochure and these network of trails look very nice. I planned to take my husband to the Plantation House on our first morning (we'll arrive at night and my husband hasn't been to Maui). I thought that would be a nice spot for our first morning and now it seems it'll be a great place to walk around a bit also.

No, we are going with Awapuhi Adventures. Their reviews are very good and from the bio of the owner/tour guide, I don't think that is her M.O. Trust me, I have no desire to trespass or travel on roads we shouldn't. I have no desire to be nervous about getting into trouble while I am there.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking on Maui

Kapalua trails are all open to the public. Be sure to print and take that trail map as there are none provided at the Adventure Center. Also no water on the mountain.

The trail to the lake at the top provides a great view. We did multiple days at Kapalua exploring and will do so again next trip over.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,552 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking on Maui

Aloha,

Hylas, have a wonderful time--and thanks for thinking of us!

The Plantation House is separated from the 'main' Kapalua area by a few miles. You might want to just take a short drive up to Honolua Bay and/or the Blowhole after breakfast, if you don't feel like hiking then.

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking on Maui

can anyone recommend walking or hiking trails closer to Ka'anapali?

we dont mind driving up to kapalua or other locations some times, but would like something close by for quick jaunts

thanks

rwc

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking on Maui

journeycouple ... Kaanapali has a beach walk between the Hyatt at the south end and Honua Kai at the north end ... about 2.5 miles each way. It's next to the ocean for the most part, but there are a couple of sections where it goes through resorts (at the Sheraton, Royal Lahaina and Maui Kaanapali Villas).

Duncan, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking on Maui

thanks Susan

we will definitely make use of this walk

do you know of anything nearby in the hills or is it just as easy to go up the coast for a small hill walk/hike in the hills?

thanks again

rwc

10. Re: Hiking on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 16:15