We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choosing condo in maui

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Help with choosing condo in maui

Planning a trip to Maui again in late January 2013. Need some advice on choosing a condo. Wife and I stayed at Maui Kai last time and loved it. Unfortunately, Maui Kai is not available for our vacation week. Looking for something comparable.

What I liked most about the Maui Kai was the ocean front view and lanai. If I were to add anything, maybe better bbq facility. Hope someone can help. Looking forward to being in Maui again.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

Do you prefer Soth or West Maui? We stay to Hale Ono Loa, ocean front, no beach but resident turtles you can snorkel with if you're not afraid to enter the water off the rocks, nice BBQ that never seems to be used by anyone but us.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

I cannot tell you how it is because our trip is not until this coming January, but we booked the Ma'alaea Surf Resort. I was attracted to the location along Sugar Beach for long walks and the barbeque area, which appears to be right by the beach. Had a great conversation with Jeni Correa, the rental manager, so I hope all goes well for us.

As with most condo complexes, each unit will vary based on how recently owners' update. The unit we are booked in was just remodeled last year, so I hope it is as lovely as the pictures.

The location is in North Kihei. I'm not looking for a busy area or to be able to walk to restaurants, etc., so I think it will work well for our needs.

www.MaalaeaSurfResort.com

#808-879-1267

I hope you have good luck finding a place. I was looking in late August and many condos I researched on VRBO were booked then.

Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

On the west side, I would try the Mahana, which is all ocean front condos. Its very late in the game so it might be tough to find something. Rent directly through VRBO or one of the property management companies to enable you to choose the exact room since some are much nicer/more upgraded than others. Management companies I'd try are Chasenrainbows.com or Kaanapalibeachrentals.com. We've used the latter company to rent at Honua Kai twice & have been very pleased.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

I prefer west maui. Thanks for the suggestion, will look up Hale Ono Loa now.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

We stay at Kuleana, it is right on the beach, has gas barbecues beachfront, a pool, beautiful grounds and on and on. You can find condos at Kuleana thru VRBO or the Kuleana website. http://kuleanaresorts.com/

Here is a great aerial picture of the property, we love love love staying here.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/…kuleana

6. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2012, 21:27
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

This late in the game, your challenge is going to be availability. It's far from one-stop shopping, but you'll get a fair sample by plugging your dates into VRBO:

I used 1/24 to 1/31; hopefully this link will take you to west Maui/sorted by bedrooms; low to high:

http://www.vrbo.com/search/usa/hawaii/maui/west-maui?from-date=2013-01-24&to-date=2013-01-31&sort+by=Bedrooms%2fAscending

There was a Maui Kai studio available:

http://www.vrbo.com/257252

...and a Mahana 1 bedroom (view partially obstructed by palm trees):

http://www.vrbo.com/18688

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

We are going next june I have a condo reserved at the Royal Kahana thru Outrigger. Also looking at Hololani as a possibility.

Both are beachfront.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

I believe you would be very happy at the Mahana, as CACountrygirl offered. The property is apx 2-1/2 times the size of the Maui Kai, so there is obviously a larger selection of units. And the pool actually has a view -- it's not behind the building like Maui Kai's. Perhaps the only negative is that the 1br's have the lanai off the bedroom in lieu of the living area, which actually results in better, unobstructed views from there.

It's also just a short stroll away from the Honokowai Marketplace with several restaurant options and the Times market, and also just a quick walk over to Duke's at the Honua Kai.

You might check the management companies recommended and compare prices with any available units you find on VRBO.

Alo)(a, NKO

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with choosing condo in maui

<<"Perhaps the only negative is that the 1br's have the lanai off the bedroom in lieu of the living area,...">>

The lanai of the 1 bdrm units at the Mahana has sliding doors to it from both the LR and Bdrm ... but yes, it's situated in front of the bedroom, which as you mention, gives excellent unobstructed views from the floor to ceiling windows in the LR. But I wonder about availability in January since it books up quickly at that time of year.