We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Seattle...
10 posts
Save Topic
Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Hawaii in October, but we're having a tough time deciding between two islands and specifically two resorts.

Initially, were were leaning towards the St. Regis Princeville Resort in Kauai, but we started to worry that the north side of Kauai gets a lot of rain. The resort, however, looks absolutely stunning.

We started researching Maui and fell in love with the Westin Ka'anapali Resort and Spa. I heard the weather in Maui is really beautiful that time of year, but the resort wasn't as breathtaking as the St. Regis. Now we're at a crossroads and can't decide which island we should choose as our honeymoon destination.

Anyone have any advice for which hotel/island we should pick?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Oh, dear ... these two resorts are not on the same level ... or even close! The Westin Maui, although on beautiful Ka'anapali Beach, is known for its noise, small rooms, lack of grounds and being a kid-magnet. I don't know why anyone would fall in love with it. I certainly would not want a honeymoon there. I wouldn't recommend it anyway, given that you have so many options. Just not in the same league as the St Regis!

But let's back up: what Island do you want to visit? If you have 10 nights or more - consider both Maui and Kauai. I would not worry about the weather on either in October. Once you have chosen your Island - then choose your resort.

Are you using Starwood points? Is that why you are focusing on these two hotels? On Maui, choose the Sheraton Maui over the Westin.

Here are the aerials for Maui. Scroll down and click on resort you want to see. I don't put much stock in their commentary.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

I'm not finding an aerial for St. Regis Princeville.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60626-i828-k59410…

This is an active post - also on your topic.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Assuming the two properties mentioned are your sole options, the St. Regis wins the contest by a significant longshot. The Westin would not even make my top 5 resort list on Maui..

I would mix in the Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Four Seasons in Wailea or perhaps even the incredible Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big island to have a viable dilemma in making a resort choice! :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Seattle...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

@BLBL, thanks so much for the aerial shots!

Yes, we're using Starwoods points and that's why we're focusing on these two resorts. We could also stay at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas, but I wanted more of a "hotel" experience. I would love to stay at some of the other resorts in Maui, but they're not part of the Starwood group.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Much better chance of having great weather in Maui. There is a reason why the Princeville area is very green. Thats' right, just like Seatle, rain. You may be lucky and get a dry spell, but don't count on it. What else do you want to do? If you plan on relaxing at the hotel, by the pool, remember the weather. Hiking the Napali coast? great. It can be done in wet weather. Restaurants? Hands down go to Maui. If the hotel is the only choice. Thats easy St Regis. However, the Westin is not that bad(how's that for an endorsement). Most of the posters on TA really tear it apart but it has a great location and beautiful pool. The Westin most likely will screw around with you on the room. You will get 'run of the house" room. Most likely, mountain view. They may let you upgrade, depending upon availability. The Westin is more centrally located than the Sheraton but significantly so. The Villas are really nice but you most likely will not get a scenic room. Oahu will give you more SPG selection. Surfrider and Princess may be what you are looking for.

Seattle...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Here's the other thing: If we stay at the St. Regis, we'll have to get a mountain view room since the ocean view rooms will cost too many points. But if we went with the Westin in Maui, we'll definitely get an ocean view room. I'm hearing from a lot of people that the St. Regis can't be beat in terms of luxury and relaxation, and there are so many great things to do in Kauai, so it doesn't really bother me that we won't have a view of the ocean from our room, especially since we'll hopefully be by the pool or beach most of our trip.

Also, another interesting thing, our friend is getting married two weeks before our wedding in Oahu, and my fiance is in the wedding. That rules out going to Oahu for our honeymoon since we were just there.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Again - on Maui, on Ka'anapali, you can stay at the Sheraton Maui - a much nicer resort. And it is Starwood. The Westin does not have a better location - unless staying next door to a shopping center appeals to you. The Sheraton Maui is at/on Black Rock - prime location for Ka'anapali.

On Kauai, if you want to stay in the south (drier area), there is a Sheraton there as well. You could split a stay on Kauai between the Sheraton in Poipu and the St Regis in Princeville.

On Oahu - you have 4 options - 2 great, 1 mediocre, and 1 to avoid. The Royal Hawaiian would be #1 by far, the Moana Surfrider #2 (if you have a tower room), Sheraton Waikiki #3 and the Princess Kauilani - avoid.

Again - choose your Island first. What do you want to do and see? The resorts are great - but you will want to explore.

You will be renting a car, yes?

Edited: 04 December 2012, 18:03
Seattle...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Yes, we'll definitely rent a car. Our plans are to relax by the pool, explore the beaches, hike along some trails and do some sightseeing, and we'd love to snorkel. But our main objective of the trip is to simply relax , find a gorgeous beach, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Thanks for pointing out the Sheraton, it's a beautiful resort. Definitely something to consider.

There are pros and cons to both Kauai and Maui. What's making us lean towards Kauai more than Maui is neither of us have been to that island before.

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

Kauai is my favorite island, and although Princeville is beautiful (we always spend a day there golfing and enjoying one of the restaurants), we always stay in Poipu Beach. Much better weather and gorgeous beaches. You really can't count on having a lot of sun in Princeville.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Ka'anapali vs. St. Regis Princeville: Who wins?

According to your plan the St. Regis may be the best choice.

The scenery at the beach there is near or at the top of any list.

They have very few Mtn view rooms as most are Ocean or partial ocean.

But their Mt view is better than most Hotels Ocean View.

On Maui I like the Sheraton as well.

Oct 2011 the weather was perfect 1 wk each on both Islands except 1 day on Kauai.

Means nothing next yr.