We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

Hi all !! We are using our flyer miles for our trip in March (20th annv.) We had the hardest time finding flights. I finally got us both on the same flights . Going over we are on Alaskan air and sitting with each other but on the way back all we could get was one first class and one coach. My question is do you think it would be worth the $500 it would take to bring him into first class. I have never flown on Hawaiian air so any thoughts will be be welcomed.

Thanks much!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

I think you should ask 'him' .... if we say 'no' he might be annoyed with us. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

While Hawaiian First Class is wonderful, we've never considered it worth the $500 for a 5-6 hour flight. Points, yes, bucks, no!

FYI getting flights home in First class on points makes leaving the island easier...a little!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

It's worth it if you need extra legroom and wider seating and if paying for it doesn't upset your budget. We've done it several times and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. We emptied their allotment of mai tai mix one trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

Another vote for First Class if you want to spend the $. All things considered - try to get those seats together.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

$500 to upgrade on a relatively short-haul flight is not worth it. You will just be getting a slightly bigger seat, bad food and the aforementioned mai tai mix.. An upgrade on a long-haul flight with an international carrier is a different story.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

I have enjoyed Hawaiian's first class a few times, usually I paid for the upgrade at the airport, where it was more like 300. But that was a few years ago, and they may have raised the price by now.

You get the wider seat, more leg room, free meal, free booze, and a free movie player. I always try to drink up the cost of the upgrade to make it worth while. :-)

The free leg room is golden to me (I'm 6'5").

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

Thanks guys . I wouldn't consider this but it is our 20th annv trip.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

The food in First Class is very good.

The attendants don't hover like the "old days." Not terribly anxious to give you stuff ... so buzz them. Ask for what you want and they are very attentive. POG with a bit of Champagne. Perfect.

(And you have your very own restroom!)

Edited: 14 December 2012, 17:41
northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

He wouldn't know untill we boarded so that would be fun. Part of me says it's only money the there's that pesky voice saying be practical.

Level Contributor
440 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Airlines first class worth upgrade??

If you wait until the day before you travel to upgrade, it's $349 (if available). At least that was the price both going and coming on my trip to Oahu a couple of weeks ago.