We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip.need advice

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
First trip.need advice

I would like to visit Hawaii in April with my two daughters who are in their 20 s.

If we had two weeks, what would out best option be

Fly into Honolulu and spend a few days there and ,,then fly to Maui

Or just fly to Maui and then visit another island....any suggestions as to which one

We like the beach, snorkelling and checking out sites.i don't even know where to start with hotels as I don't know the different areas in Maui, some people seem to like the Makena Beach resort, but it may be far out from eating out etc.

I will rent a car if it isn't too complicated driving on the islands.any info appreciated

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip.need advice

Well we have no problem spending 2 weeks on Maui every year but with 2 weeks you can split. I'd choose Maui and Kauai if you can fly into MAui and home from Kauai all the better.

If you are considering Maui with 20 somethings, especially females, I would look at west Maui.

The Kaanapali area is great. Have you considered a condo? Much more room to spread out and having a kitchen is a big money saver and a washer and dryer means packing fewer clothes.

Driving on Maui is a breeze so plan on renting a car

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip.need advice

Your daughters (and likely you too) would probably really enjoy seeing Waikiki Beach and spending some time on Oahu, so I think that flying either in to or out of HNL would be good. Arrange your flights so that you fly to one island, home from the other, and book the inter island flight with Hawaiian Airlines. Pearl Harbour is definitely worth a visit, and hiking up Diamond Head is another popular thing to do close to Waikiki. With two weeks, you could spend a week on Oahu (which would give you more time to explore the island) and a week on Maui ... or if you prefer, a few days in Honolulu and the rest on Maui. Our first two trips to Hawaii were only 10 days and we split them with 2 nights in Honolulu on each visit, and 8 nights on Kauai on the first visit, 8 nights on Maui on the second.

I agree with mamma's suggestions re a condo in West Maui, and re driving.

When in April are you thinking of? Do you have an approximate nightly budget in mind?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,465 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip.need advice

I would do a couple of days on Oahu at the end of the trip. Waikiki is a lot of fun, especially for young people. There's also tons of shopping there and you'd want to save that for the end of your visit rather than hauling around your new purchases to another island.

Please rent a car at least one day on Oahu and do the circle island tour. It is a beautiful drive and Oahu is so much more than Waikiki.

Happy planning.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,991 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip.need advice

With kids that age, Waikiki is where it's at! Spend at least 5days, if not an even split with Maui. Makena is great within a ten minute drive to shops and restaurants but your kids would probably enjoy either Kihei or Kaanapali more.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip.need advice

I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but WestJet does have direct flights to Kauai every Saturday, to the Big Island every Friday, and Maui, just about every day (not Friday in September 2013 when we will be there).

Big Island... it is BIG, and I would not choose this island for this trip, as you couldn't do it justice with just a week.

Have you had an opportunity to ready through any Fodor's, Frommer's, or Lonely Planet books yet? Don't buy them... get to your public library and just borrow them. Lots of neat information in there to get you started. And then when you have specific questions, come back and ask away.

West Maui and South Maui are the most popular areas. Use the search engine and plunk in "west maui vs south maui" and you will come up an array of old threads that talk about this very subject. That will help you in choosing which area you may want to stay in. We have stayed in West twice, and South twice. Both have pros and cons, and it is a personal decision. For your first trip to Maui, I really don't believe you can go wrong with either area.

And... as soon as you have your dates, get that rental car booked. And then you can check back to see if the rates drop. Discount Hawaii car rental is a great place to start. Also Costco, assuming you have a membership.

Have fun planning!

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip.need advice

Kaanapali is an energetic area kids that age would love. The Sheraton there is nice with great pools. My neighbor just returned from a week in Maui and loved his stay at The Westin in this area. Have fun! :)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip.need advice

Great ideas from OP. read travel books. You will enjoy Honol. Great place to visit. Much to see and do. many hotels. Easy to drive or take tours to Pearl Harbor. have a drink at the bar at the Pink Hotel. Then fly to Maui or do it last. Which easy.

Maui is fun. Easy to drive, even if you make a wrong turn. We did..

Safe travels

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip.need advice

I agree with other posters- I would spilt your time between Maui and Oahu. The Hilton is Waikiki is great if it's in your budget. Definitely rent a car and make sure you go up to the North Shore and over to the exquisite beaches at Kailua and Waimanalo on windward (east) side.

On Maui, it's really a matter of how much you want to spend..and what type of experience you want .Kannapali has some good hotels, Wailea has posh resorts, and Kihei has some pretty inexpensive condos. Kihei, though small, actually has a wee bit of nightlife for 20-somethings (Maui in general is kind of sleepy past 10 pm).

Driving on Maui is super easy, and the island is actually pretty small; getting from any one place to another is relatively quick and easy to navigate. From Maui, you could also take a ferry to either Lanai or Molokai for a day trip.

The snorkeling trip to tiny Molokini (try Snorkel Bob's) is fun. Lahaina has plenty of restaurants and excellent shopping and beautiful views. Drive up north to Paia for a funky, charming little town and great beaches. If you do feel like a driving adventure, the Road to Hana is a little scary but *gorgeous* an absolutely worth the momentary rise in blood pressure!

Have a fun trip with your girls and Aloha!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip.need advice

Split your stay in Oahu and Maui. I'd fly first to Honolulu and stay at the Hyatt directly across from the beach in Waikiki. The ocean is very calm there and you and your daughters can take outrigger rides for $12 or a catamaran ride for $35 that takes you over by Diamond Head. You just sign your name to a clip board and go out next. The hotel lends beach chairs and towels each day.

Then in Maui stay at the Hyatt on Kaanapili Beach where they have a wonderful pool with a swim up bar in a cave under a waterfall. Both Hyatt's have breakfast packages and one night free after staying 4 or 5 nights. Sometimes called the Sunshine on Sale.

You can take the shuttle out by the driveway to Whalers Village where there are restaurants, shopping and barefoot bars with live music.

10. Re: First trip.need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 00:16