We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

seattle
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

"Hawaii is not a state of mind, but a state of grace". - Paul Theroux

Each morning, as I lounge on my lanai, with my coffee, listening to the sounds of the waves, the birds, the children playing, I feel like I am in a state of grace.

Yesterday started out pretty much the same way as every other day ( read the paragraph above). Since I am up so early, I sit on the lanai and enjoy everything. Eventually I left the condo to check out the Farmers Market. The outdoor portion was closed but the indoor portion, which is the store, was open. They also had samples available for testing. I bought fruit for breakfast, to go with our cereal. Additionally, they had a little coffee shop in the same strip mall called Bad A$$ Coffee. Of course I had to go in, based in the name alone, and I bought a small packet of Kona with Peaberry. It was crazy expensive, but very good. That being said, I don't think I will spend $64 for a pound of coffee. Suggestions are accepted for good coffee to take home... :-)

We decided to step out of our comfort zone, and heard of a kite surfing competition in Ho'okipa, so off we went, with our homemade sandwiches and Maui Chips! Now, understand when we left our condo, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the closer we got to Ho'okipa, the darker the clouds were. My mood soured as we got closer, especially when we needed our windshield wipers for the first time on this trip, thinking about how we left beautiful sun for dark clouds. But when we arrived at the overlook, we were greeted with beautiful sunshine and an awesome view of the kite surfers. I didn't really understand how the competition worked, but I loved watching and I loved how the kites, when not in use, were all laid out on the beach in this beautiful color display, which created a wonderful foreground for some of my photos. We stayed at the beach for hours and enjoyed the sights and saw many turtles. I just LOVE the turtles!

We then headed back, but not before stopping for a bit in Paia, checking out a few shops. We stopped at a place called Tobi's Shave Ice for shave ice and Poke. Mmmmmmm, Poke! If you haven't tried it, you should. They offered it raw or fried, and with different flavors. We had it with wasabi.

Thank goodness for the microwave! Because when we returned we were too worn out too cook, so we had leftover pizza and salad, then it was lights out! Another great day in Maui, and, we liked what we did, lol.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

You have run into some trade wind/shower weather. Short showers that are over almost before they begin. So glad they are back!! Thanks for the report, samba.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Love that quote, gonna use it on facebook..cheers! ;-)

Your trip reports are making me even more excited about returning to Hawaii (just Oahu this time)....13 days to go!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,312 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

What a pleasant read! Just remember, you can't have a rainbow without some clouds and rain!

js4rq: Have a great time on Oahu. We were there in 2010 at the same time you are going. Love, love, LOVE Waikiki and Honolulu at Christmas!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Great report! Haven't heard of Toby's shave ice before. The poke sounds good. Another one for the list!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Try the MauiGrown Coffee Company for quality coffee at reasonable prices. You can taste test coffees and base your purchase on what your taste buds preferred.....it worked me! I still miss my creamer, but drinking higher quality coffee gives me satisfaction. They are located by the smokestack on the mauka side of Lahaina. Still loving your reports! Keep on having fun! Deb

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,147 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Great fun watching the kite surfing.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Very close to home for you is Aina Gourmet Market which stocks fine wine and Champagne, chocolates, gelato, exotic island spice rubs and Mokka (yep the spelling is correct) Maui’s best coffee which they themselves roast to perfection.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

As it is getting dark here, I am following along with you , I was watching the rain and clouds.....

July for us.......

Can feel the Aloha spirit

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

Oh yes! Do try the Maui Mokka coffee at Aina market as Mauinuts suggests - delicious!!!

You can also take the upcountry O'o Farm lunch tour and eat one of the fresh coffee cherries from the tree. And tour the gardens, picking and tasting while the chef prepares a wonderful lunch for you and a few others. This was one of our best days on very good Maui trip last year. You will end your beautiful mountainside meal with Aina Mokka coffee and Hawaiian chocolate ganache truffles. How could it be any better?

I do love your "state of grace". It is a gift.

10. Re: Live 2012 Trip Report-Day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:17