We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Keene, KY
Level Contributor
29 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Looking to do a helicopter tour either tomorrow morning on Maui or a few days later in Kauai. Anyone done both? If so, which one should we do?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Both! Just kidding...general advice is Kauai. Much of the island is verticle and inaccesable so you get some sights you will never see otherwise.

Check the weather forecasts, that may change your mind.

Book a early morning flight on either island.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

We've done both ... Kauai has a lot more 'wow factor' because of the Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast!

But, if you did West Maui and Molokai, it would be pretty spectacular as well (we did Haleakala, Hana and West Maui).

Enjoy!

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
92 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Absolutely, positively, without question KAUAI!!! Worth every penny and more, I promise. My husband and I did a Kauai heli tour 15 years ago and STILL talk about how amazing it was. Enjoy!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Kaua`i is THE island for a helicopter tour. It's like nothing you've ever seen before.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Another vote for Kauai! The helicopter ride through Napali Coast is amazing.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

Kauai for sure! Inter-Island out of Port Allen is our favorite if you are staying in the Poipu area.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

KAUAI...!!!!!

We did one with Safari Helicopters for an hour .. I even purchased the DVD of the flight .. and I watch it when I get depressed - which is often because I want to be there...!! (And I watch the Descendants over and over)

It truly is an amazing island and the views of the Napali coast are just amazing. The pilot turned the chopper around so everyone could get the good views .. and his commentary is good too .. explaining heaps of things.

You do see lots of the island that are inaccessible, as said above .. so it truly is worth whatever it costs.

Makawao, Hawaii
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

You can do both with the same helicopter company.....they off different packages.....as a travel professional, I prefer Maui Helicopter.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
419 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

If you can afford it I would do both. There are parts of both islands that can only be seen from the air.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter tour: Maui or Kauai?

I have done the helo on Maui 2x. Did a fixed wing on Kauai. I was skeptical of the Kauai trip but it was great. We did a few circles and saw everything. I vote for Kauai.