We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

First of all, I have been coming here daily for MONTHS and you all have been super helpful, so thank you for that!

For me, planning a trip is half the fun, and boy have I been planning this one. We arrive on Maui 3/20 @4pm. Picking up rental car (got with airline miles, got 8 day convertible rental for FREE!), heading to Lahaina, staying at Lahaina Shores, one of the premium units on the 5th floor. No plans first night, just realxing and eating and drinking

First day going to see the sunrise at Haleakala, as many have said the jet lag from Florida will make it easier. Then breakfast at Kula lodge, tour the Kula Botanical Garders, then back to Lahaina.

Friday morning we are renewing our vows at Poolenalena Beach at 8:30am. Then breakfast at Sorrento's. Back to Lahaina, relax, then off to Merrimans for happy hour and then dinner.

Saturday relax, snorkel, sun bathe, tour Lahaina, whatever, nothing locked in.

Sunday, Haleakala crater horseback ride in the morning. Then lunch at Hali’imaile General Store. Then a visit to the Lavender Farm.

Other things we want to do, but just plan on doing when we feel like it:

• Cocktail cruise

• Massage

• Iao Needle

• Snorkeling trip up North

• Whale watching trip

Paia trip (eat at Flatbread Pizza)

• Road to Hana stuff (weekday)

• Kapalua Coastal Trail

• Huli Huli chicken! (roadside food)

Phew. Am I missing anything? I know to just wing it most of the trip, but things like vow renewal kinda have to be planned early ;-)

As always, thanks in advance!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

I left out restaurant choices. Star Noodle, Betty's, Aloha Mixed Plate, Mala, Pacific'O, Honu Seafood and Pizza, Ono Tacos are definites

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

That's great that you've got a list of some 'must do' and 'possible' activities lined up, but depending on how many of those things on your "other things' list are 'maybe's or really want to do' items, it's going to be hard to wing it without careful planning.

I would try to combine some places to avoid long repetitive drives ... e.g. Iao Valley with one of your Haleakala trips, and Paia with one of your Haleakala days or Hana day. In 8 days (7 nights?) you might find going to Haleakala twice and also the RTH, a lot to pack in, in addition to your trip to S. Maui.

The Kapalua Coastal Trail would be good to combine with snorkelling up north (Honolua Bay?)

With the number of driving days that you have, you might want to try to figure out which day you can slot in your sunset cruise. Maybe combine whale watching and sunset cruise into one trip?

Edited: 11 December 2012, 20:15
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

great thoughts on combining trips, definitely going to do that. And as we get closer, I will book the whale trips and sunset trips, and hope for the best. We are they 8 days, leave the 28th late in the late afternoon, which gives us more than 1/2 of the last day for stuff

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Way to go scoring the convertible with points. Lots of folks thumb their nose at the convertibles but I think Maui is the quintessential "topless" environment and am a big fan of them for there. Just know that you cant count on the trunk of luggage space.

Your itinerary looks great. You've learned the mantra from all your reading here in the forum :-) "Plan a couple of must do activities and then figure out the rest of the day to day over early morning coffee on your lanai."

At that time of year, any excursion out on the water becomes a whale watching trip. So if you do a sunset cruise or a morning snorkel trip, you will likely see whales. But if you want to book an excursion that is strictly for whale watching, by all means go for it.

Looks to me like you've planned well and the only things missing are the things you'll do on your next Maui trip :-) Happy anniversary and I hope you have a memorable trip. Be sure to come back in the forum when you get home and tell us all about it.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 20:21
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Thanks Snowbird! Trip reports are a DEFINITE! :-)

Perhaps even "live" ones

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Have a wonderful wedding on Po'olenalena Beach! I can tell you we witnessed numerous weddings on our two week fall trip and it was quite special. I am biased but if you get a chance to just hang out on your "wedding" beach, that would be fun and great photos! It's a fun beach to boogie board, snorkel and just relax. Lunch at Coconuts Fish Cafe is always yummy. Deb

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

I would suggest, if it's a possibility, that your vow renewal is done on the northern side of Po'olenalena beach -- you have to walk through the lava rock pathway over to the more secluded side away from the parking lot, but always seems far less inhabited & more serene on that side.. :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Great suggestion NKO, the person doing the vow renewal did mention something about walking over some lava, and to bring some flats to walk in. I'm fine with flats ;-)

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

Yes....Louboutin's on a beach are a definite no-no.. :o

I'll also mention that I had a REALLY excellent pepperoni pizza at Honu - owner, Mark Elleman, made it....so that may have something to do with how good it was, but the pepperoni they use wasn't greasy at all and was just divine - well, if pizza can actually be described that way! The other food we ordered wasn't so well received, but I highly recommend their somewhat pricey pizza! ;-}~

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers, Maui for 10th Anniv, itinerary thoughts?

i'm looking forward to their pizza, as well as the one at the Flatbread Company in Paia. I love trying different styles of pizza. And before anyone starts, no, I am not going to Maui to eat only pizza, can't wait to try any and all Poke, fresh fish, etc, but most likely not Spam :-p