We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries!!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries!!

staying just a bit south of Lahaina. Is it worth the trouble to stop at Costco on the Saturday before Christmas on the way from the airport? Or just shop at a grocery store?

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries!!

Going to Costco depends on how long you're staying and how many people are with you. If you know about Costco, you know everything there is ginormous packages. If you can justify the large quantities, go for it. If not, There's a couple of nice Foodlands (which I prefer) and a Safeway in Lahaina that you can do your shopping. Be sure to get a Safeway member card if you don't have one and one from Foodland. That will save you a bundle. You can also go online for Foodland for sure and check out what's on sale when you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries!!

OK I admit to being a huge Costco fan. I visit at least twice a month at home. However I would NEVER go to a Costco ANYWHERE in the USA the saturday before Christmas!

Save your sanity and use the very good local grocery stores

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries!!

I vote for a locally owned grocery store. They also have longer hours than Costco and accept a variety of major credit cards.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries!!

Thanks!! I was really dreading the Costco experience!!

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
653 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries!!

Our Costco experience was like an induction into a roller derby league! That place was crazy!! We were traveling as a group of 7 for 10 days, and struggled to find items we would actually go through. There is also a limited selection, & not tons of healthy options. For the time & aggravation, IMO, it's not worth any savings!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries!!

Going to Costco the Saturday before Christmas is an exercise in futility. I would stay very far away from that store that day!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries!!

Costcos in Hawaiian are madness any day. I can't fathom the chaos the day before Christmas!

I would go to the Safeway in the Cannery Mall (Lahaina) for serious stuff and Foodland (across the street) for fun!

Bring your Safeway card or sign up for one there. Easy. And you can sign up for a card at Foodland as well.

Sadly, there is no such thing as a quaint little Hawaiian Costco, although I fear that that is what some assume. You were wise to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries!!

Going ANYWHERE the day before Christmas would push my psyche over the edge. The ONLY place you should be on Christmas Eve is the beach :)

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries!!

ditto Momfromalaska's comment...& I'd add with a mai tai! We went to Whole Foods the day before Thanksgiving & even though they had lots of employees who answered our ?'s and directed us along, it was still a zoo...a well-run zoo but a zoo. I like the aloha there and we did have one of those on-line coupons that for $20 you could buy $40 worth..and they had leis for

$12.95 which included one with tuberose and they were sooo fresh...made me almost forget the jammed parking lot. Their prices on lots of things were what we pay here in S.FL

10. Re: Groceries!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:15