We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokai question

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Molokai question

My husband really wants to tour and hike to the old Leper colony. He is fascinated by the history of Molokai and has just read about a tour or hike that goes along the cliffs into Kalaupapa. Can one of you experts tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks so much!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Molokai question

Not an expert.

Very fascinating stories of heartache and hardships. My understanding is that those that live there now are descendants and you have to be invited by someone to actually enter. I could be wrong, but I don't think you are actually allowed to come and go in as you please.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,908 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Molokai question

Please post on the Molokai forum. The DE for Molokai is on island right now and will be alerted to your post.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Molokai question

There is a tour there. My friend and I did it many years ago. You can fly or ride mules down there. Very interesting tour. Must do a tour. So worth it

Boston
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Molokai question

Yep, you can do the tour. If you people are in good shape (it's a tough walk back up for sure) then you can hike down. You must get a permit to go down there. Once there you have to take the tour. You cannot do it on your own. Go to the Visitors website for Molokai and they can direct you as to where to get the permit. The trail that leads down there is quite steep with 26 switchbacks, so as I said, if you are not in really good shape I suggest you take the mule ride or fly in. You have to be there at a certain time to meet up with the tour guide. Have fun!

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Molokai question

We have taken the mule ride tour down to Kalaupapa twice, and would highly recommend it. It's an amazing experience!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Molokai question

Definitely worth the tour. Unless you're in super shape, take the mules down and back. It's a bear of a climb back up.

You don't have to be invited if you're on a tour.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Molokai question

We did the flyin/flyout about 15 years ago. It was one of the highlights of that trip. Richard Marks was a remarkable man and gave a good tour of the place. He passed away several years ago but his family kept up the business. Stories will make you cry but is a not to be missed event.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Molokai question

Thank you all so much! I did read you had to be invited or take the tour. I better decide if I want to hike or do the mule ride. We are in good shape. The views of the cliffside kind of freak me out when thinking about the mule though. Is it as bad as it looks... dangerous wise?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Molokai question

i don't think the mule ride is any more dangerous than hiking, but you should be comfortable riding on rough terrain. They use western saddles, so you have a horn to hang onto if necessary.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Molokai question

If I decide to reserve a tour and do the hike, where do I go? If I take the ferry from Lahaina, will I still have to travel somewhere to begin the hike? Taxi? Rental car? What are my options once I reach Molokai?

Thanks again everyone.