We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night arrival/Courtyard

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Late night arrival/Courtyard

Hi,

So im basically stuck at the moment,

we will be arriving on friday 4th at around 9:15

i know costco will be closed but i know walmart(i know i know) is open till 11pm, i also know that theres a few fast food places that might have their drive thrus open maybe?

spending night in Courtyard,

not sure what to do next day?

i know i want to visit costco maybe

-drive to halekala crater for sunrise or sunset?

-go straight after costco and breakfast to Makena Beach hotel

- and i have no clue what to do in the area, dont really want to do a touristy plantation tour etc

-and i know that Iao valley is a wet spot dont want to visit if its raining and cold.

*info staying makena 5-7th , wailea marriot 7th-9th leaving 9th 10pm

5 family members, 21m, 16f, 9f.

planning to do haleakala, road to hana, snorkling, luau, beaches

thanks any input, ideas, suggestions appreciated :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

Is there any chance that you could change your Courtyard Marriott booking to the Makena Beach & Golf Resort to avoid staying in 3 places over 5 nights? If not, I would consider going to Haleakala (not for sunrise or sunset) that first day, prior to checking in at Makena.

Safeway will have everything that you need if you want to avoid Costco.

Re the RTH - I would see how everyone feels about doing it once there (might prefer more beach time instead ... or a much shorter but still very scenic drive up to West Maui to Nakalele Blowhole, with the opportunity to explore some W. Maui beaches).

If Hana is a definite, I would check the weather forecast before going.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 11:46
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

It's an easy drive to the Makena Resort about 35 minutes on 4 lane road. I would just go there for first night. since you are in hotels and not condos I wouldn't waste time at Costco.

Moving 5 folks three times in a short time frame will cost you sightseeing/beach time.

If you are wanting somethiong to eat the local Zippy's is open late. They even have a drive through and it's on the way to Makena just as you get to edge of Kahului.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

We often arrive in the evening. I, too, would just drive on to Makena. Easy drive. Much nicer than spending a night across from Costco! LOL

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

thanks for the suggestions

sorry forgot to include, i have free nights with marriott, and that courtyard was the only resort i could use, so cant change that reservation.

thanks for the costco suggestion, thinking of it i dont think we would need anything, if we will be going to walmart the night before for like water and snacks. maybe on the way back since our flight leaves so late.

i'll double check with them to see what they would want to do esp about haleakala since we are already there.

and thanks for the zippys rec didnt know they had a drive through. beats mcdees lol.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

I don't understand why you want to go to Costco? Or Walmart? You can get what you are looking for at an ABC Store, Long's or Safeway.

Iao Valley is gorgeous. A rainforest atmosphere - can be showery or not. The West Maui Mountains are amazing.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

Whole Foods will close at 9pm.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/maui/

Safeway is across the street and open 24hrs.

http://local.safeway.com/hi/kahului-220.html

Go in there, buy bananas, granola cereal, almond milk, snacks, and a styrophome cooler in the beer isle. Everyone can survive on bananas leaving the grocery store. Eat cereal the next morning.

Check into hotel, wake up next morning. Do a half road to Hana trip. Drive to MM 25 looking at water falls. Turn around, come back, go to Whole Foods and eat the salad bar, buy nuts, more fruit, juices. Drive to other hotel, check in.

See my web site with pictures on the road to Hana.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

The purists will say you need to go the entire way, but dragging 3 kids and a spouse will make that a long drive. Go half way, turn around, go back.

If you don't care about the sunrise or sunset view, you could also drive up to the top of the crater and see the views. Plus it won't be as cold.

While each of my suggestions doesn't give you the full experience of each attraction, there's still plenty to see, and you won't get stressed out since there's 5 people.

Bonney Lake...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

You can also just go to Hoopika beach and watch the surfers and wind surfers and lots of turtles. Paia Town for fish tacos and lots of small shops and galleries, Drive a few miles upcountry to Makawao. Paia and Hoopika are only 15 - 20 minutes away Makawao about 25 - 30 minutes. Also the small sugar museum which is only a few minutes from the courtyard. I take that back it is a few plus minutes just to get through the traffic light at the intersection of Dairy and Hana highway. :)

Edited: 21 December 2012, 21:41
8. Re: Late night arrival/Courtyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:15