We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars

Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Rental cars

If I visit more than one island, will I need to have only one rental car contract or will I have a different contract on each island? What is the best way to find the cheapest and most reliable rental car company?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,790 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars

Different contract for each island, probably even a different company for each island. Discount Hawaii Car Rental and Costco (if you're member) are the two most recommended.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Never pre-pay for a car rental unless you wait until shortly before your trip. If you do use Hotwire or Priceline NYOP, make sure you understand exactly how it works - read all the FAQ's. Continue to look for a better rate. I have our cars booked thru DHCR for our Aug trip, Oahu & Kaua‘i. I'll check with DHCR every month to see if there's a better deal (there always is). I've booked, cancelled and re-booked a car 7 or 8 times. You just need to be persistent as the rates can change daily.

Check all the major rental company websites. You can find discount codes & coupons on sites like fatwallet or retailmenot.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 29 December 2012, 01:05
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars

You will need to do your homework to find the cheapest. And yes, you'll need a new contract for each Island ... and may change car rental companies in the process.

Alway reserve in advance - as far as possible. I would not pre-pay until I was literally at their doorstep.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental cars

Last minute car rental prices are extremely high right now.

Book ahead

Bring a copy of your personal car insurance.

Charge the car on a credit car that gives you free car rental insurance.

When booking your hotel or air , check if they have a good package deal for the car.

Maryland
Level Contributor
483 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental cars

Just saw the following link via Island Air supplied by SusanM (thanks yet again, Susan!!) and checked it against Costco and DHSCR. The rate right now is $50 cheaper than Costco and DHSCR. I plan to book with all 3 to make sure things don't get more expensive and then keep checking to see if rates go down as it gets closer to our trip-which they've always done every time we've booked car rentals.

https:/…

5. Re: Rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:17