We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

Any suggestions on which resort is better? Is one location better than the other?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

We are in our mid 40's, no children. We would like to do some sight seeing, some relaxing and lots of wining and dining. I just read that both of those resorts are kid magnets. Are there areas at the resorts that are adult only? Are there any adult only resorts?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

If you are going during school season there will be fewer kids.

I like Grand Wailea. Enjoyed the serene adult pool while rest of family had fun on the slides.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf...
6,883 Reviews
Maui, HI
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

I prefer the Wailea area and would chose the Grand Wailea. There is an adult pool and the spa gets great reviews. There are shops and restaurants within walking distance at the Shops at Wailea, and you can walk to the other nearby resorts via the beach path. Just be aware that the GW is known for nickle and diming guests and the rooms are a little worn.

I have never stayed at the Westin, but I prefer Wailea to Kaanapali, just my opinion. Have you checked out the Fairmont and the Four Seasons? They probably get a little better reviews and may be a little more relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
6,883 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,431 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,445 Reviews
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
37,591 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

We enjoyed our time at Honua Kai, It was in a convenient location to several very nice beaches such as Kapalua, Napili Bay, DT Fleming. It was also convenient to Kaanapali and Lahaina where we spent alot of time on Front Street.

The Grand Wailea is a gorgeous property, we just had lunch there and were very impressed with the grandeur and elegance of the resort.

Aloha and have a wonderful time on Maui! :)

Edited: 29 December 2012, 17:01
Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,333 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
The Napili Bay
The Napili Bay
500 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,445 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Lahaina Front Street
Lahaina Front Street
4,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
6,883 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicago
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

We have stayed at both more times than I can recall going back to 1989. We originally stayed at the Westin Maui for years and then tried the GW (when it was the Grand Hyatt). Back then (late 90's) Kaanapalli seemed old and tired and the GW was simply spectacular. The only problem was back then there were few nice restaurants in Wailea. We even joined the GW membership program. Then a strange thing happened - while Wailea got more upscale restaurants, the West side of Maui really transformed itself by building even better restaurants and refurbishing all that had become old. So, now we lean back to the Westin Maui rather than GW. Not only has the GW seemed to have been worn down a little, we did not appreciate the way the hotel treated "regular" guests (even members) over their convention guests.

Bothe hotels have multiple pools and adult pools and the kids have never been a problem for us. While I am sure we will not abandon GW, for now we stay at the Westin.

Mentioned in this post
5,431 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,992 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

Yes, both of those resorts are kid-magnets, and the Westin Resort and Spa is not a good choice anyway.

Take a look at the Sheraton Maui. Sounds exactly what you are looking for. They do not cater to kids - no kids pool, etc. Quiet end of the beach (especially at night!) next to Black Rock.

Scond choice would be the Hyatt - but it tends to cater to families and conferences. Very different feel than the Sheraton - but still nice.

(FYI - the Grand Wailea was recently sold to Singapore. Yes, really. Too early to tell what changes will be made.)

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Scroll down and click for aerial views of the resorts. I disregard the commentary.

Also - here is a little map of the Ka'anapali Resort Area.

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

Edited: 29 December 2012, 18:29
Mentioned in this post
5,431 Reviews
Maui, HI
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort...
4,593 Reviews
Maui, HI
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
6,883 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

I wouldn't make a decision just yet. What is your nightly budget by the way? What is it that attracted you to these hotels anyway? Neither area is better than the other, just different. Generally speaking people choose which side of the island to stay on by what they will be doing while there and what time of year they are coming. Answers to these questions will greatly help to make a recommendation to you.

I don't take any stalk in who just bought the Grand Wailea. There maybe great changes, there may be no changes, there maybe subtle changes. Hotels in Hawaii have under gone bankruptcy, changed hands etc. multiple times in the last couple of years and any changes made have generally been for the good of the resorts, without any disruption to the guests.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 18:56
Mentioned in this post
6,883 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

I was attracted to these hotels by the tropical landscaping, pools and oceanfront locations. One of the main things we would like to do is the Lahaina Luau, which makes me think I might prefer to stay on the West side so we don't have to drive too far after a few drinks. Also, it seems that the shopping might be more high end (expensive) in Wailea than Lahaina. We have no problem driving a good distance for day trips. We will be coming mid May.

We would like to sit pool side/beach side and would prefer not to pay extra for an umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

Budget - not more than $500 per night.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui-Grand Wailea or Westin Maui Resort?

Have you looked into Honua Kai? You might really like it. We enjoyed the pools and secluded hot tubs under the stars each night.

But staying at Westin or Sheraton would give you a shuttle into Lahaina for the luau. You might need to take a cab back, but worth it to be safe on the road.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,333 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI